Rechargeme doesnt work after being shaped by takers

I'm at the end of the game and haven't been collecting pods. I'm a pretty casual gamer, so I use the cheat codes to heal and restore essence instead of collecting pods. I just want to be able to keep using rechargeme me when I am in battles. Was wondering if this is done on purpose when you join the takers and get shaped, and if anyone else has run into it. 

What is essence mastery?

Are you playing with several creations and recently changed them? 

If so the problem maybe that you don't have any free essence to recharge. Then you would need to reduce your creations, go up a level, or get more essence mastery from a canister or retrain skill points to increase your total essence.

No, I have tested it out. I have enough essence to use airshock, etc. so I have free essence. 

Before I get shaped I can use rechargeme to refill my essence. After I get shaped I use rechargeme and it doesn't refill my essence. I saved and loaded the game a couple of times to pinpoint when recharge me stopped working and it seems to be whenever I get shaped by someone. 

I tried and I can't duplicate this.

Just confirming, aquamarine: you have a save where rechargeme works, you talk to Rhakkus and get altered, and it immediately stops working?  Without shaping anything new?

Tessera Eye does something very different, which is that you permanently lose a point of Essence Mastery.  This directly lowers your total Essence.  Maybe the game simply doesn't take away your current essence when that happens, even if your existing creations would be enough to use up your entire reduced essence stock.