Exile 3 installer won't run

Chocobozpwn

I am attempting to install Exile 3 on my laptop and it is giving me the following message:

This app can't run on your PC, to find a version for your PC check with the software publisher.

I have attempted to run the installer in compatibility mode with no success. I am running Windows 11. Is there any hope of getting this to run?

Exile 3 was designed for Windows 3.1/95, and it can run on some versions of Windows 7 with a bit of tinkering. However, Windows has changed since then, and Exile 3 was never updated.

Fortunately, some people have come up with a solution:

https://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/25777-exile-fix-for-x64-windows/

I hope this works out for you.

• 6 months later...
On 12/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, cst1992 said:

Exile III was actually designed for Mac and ported to Windows 95/98.

XP is the last OS which you can use to natively run the game, but OTVDM is the best thing otherwise (or an XP virtual machine).

You're correct that it was designed and released for Macs first. But Chocobozpwn was talking about the PC release of Exile 3, so I pointed out the typical PC it was meant to run on at the time. I wasn't saying it was the first machine to run Exile 3.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, cst1992 said:

Exile III was actually designed for Mac and ported to Windows 95/98.

XP is the last OS which you can use to natively run the game, but OTVDM is the best thing otherwise (or an XP virtual machine).

I'm not sure that this is quite correct. The game runs just fine on Windows 3.1, so I'm not sure if it's correct to claim it was ported explicitly to Windows 95, though the time period definitely matches (I think it was released in 97 or so?).

But, that leads into the second part, which is about the best way to run the game. I think the absolute best way to run the game is actually Basilisk II, a Macintosh emulator; but for the Windows version, the best way in my opinion is a DOSBox image running Windows 3.1. It's admittedly a little involved to set up, though.

EDIT: It would be really nice if we could post pre-built images for playing Exile on Basilisk/DOSBox. Is Windows 3.1 still under copyright? Or the older Macintosh ROMs? Or the SoundBlaster drivers (needed for the DOSBox image)? I don't think I've seen anything to suggest they aren't, but they're pretty old so I wonder if they might be…

I don't recall seeing performance issues running on Win3.1 in DOSBox. I think the rendering issues I saw when running Exile 3 under WINE (the minimap wouldn't render, and I think there was some issue with dialogs maybe) were also not an issue in Win3+DOSBox. I'd have to give it another try to be certain though…