otvdm issues - Exile 3

cst1992

This is a kind of "compilation" thread for the issues that I have found for Exile 3.

I have searched the forums and I have seen threads that indicate specific issues that people are having while using Exile 3 on otvdm (or winevdm) the "fix" for playing 16-bit applications like Exile 3 on modern OSs.

So these are the issues I have found so far (till Lorelei, Day 60).

1. The ghost in the stable in Colchis is not present. So there's no way for you to get the hidden weapons under the pillar and anvil.

2. Town combat has horrible lag. It takes half a second for each monster to move, one after the other, but the PCs don't have this problem. They move at a normal speed. Outdoor combat is also normal. Is this due to insufficient memory allocation?

3. (Seen only on my HP laptop with Intel integrated graphics, not on a discrete GPU) The audio plays weird - half cropped. So if you are stepping on something, instead of the whole soundclip playing, only like the first split-second of the audio plays.

4. Getting messages saying

1d98:err:thunk:get_handle16_data Could not allocate a handle.

in otvdm's terminal. Unknown if this affects the game in any way.

5. Additional windows are not created for dialog boxes. This is different from behavior in Windows XP for example. If you are say, training a character, you need to close that window before you could access the game's main window. In XP you could do this from the taskbar. Here you have to close it explicitly. (so if another window is on top of that training window, you won't notice it's still open and would think the game is no longer accepting input).

Edited by cst1992

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played ovtdm for a while but I'm pretty sure at one point it flat out deleted my save files and the default "EXILE3.SAV" which is why I stopped playing it.

All of the things you mentioned sound familiar though, maybe I'll give it another go, I do remember sound problems and lagging.

Well, I am using an NVIDIA graphics card with Windows 11, if that helps.

On my Windows 10 laptop with Intel graphics, I was getting the issues.

I can't say for sure the issues are with the OS, the card (or lack of it) or something else e.g. the sound hardware or drivers.