The gods are fickle

I recently started Avernum 3 and am rather confused by a couple of encounters. Minor spoilers ahead. In the Wolf Warrens, after barging into the chieftain's quarters and expecting an epic fight (by goblin standards), all the baddies in the room just stood there hurling taunts as I maneuvered for combat. I moved around them, but they didn't move at all. I looked at each of them to confirm they were 'hostile', and they were. When I moved adjacent to one, it smacked me, but even after moving away (as a final test), they still didn't move. Weird. Then in the Slime Pit, the same thing happened. Although most of the slimes pursued me, I encountered a few who showed as 'hostile' and attacked if I moved adjacent to them, but otherwise didn't move at all. Still weird. Later in the Slime Pit, a different frustration... When I made it to the room of bloated corpses near the stairs going down, and became diseased, my cleric's Cure spell failed to cure it. Death came quickly. I had only level one Cure at that point, and I figured maybe the disease was too virulent for a level one Cure. So I loaded a previous game, paid a greedy priest to raise Cure to level two, then tried the Slime Pit again, but still the gods denied me. Maybe it's an alien disease that can't be cured in the usual way? I'll try potions next. And a similar experience with Cure in the cave of the giant who captured the dryad. After poisoning myself opening his treasure chests, Cure failed again, and death came again. I guess I just need to go back later with a higher Traps skill. I'm not looking for any hints or spoilers here - maybe this is how things are supposed to be happening - but I am curious if these may be bugs...?

Edited by TheFerventPeasant