Hintbooks...

Very simple questions: have you ever completed a game without the hintbook, have you ever overused it, and have you ever regretted using it?

Myself, I've played A2 & 3 with gratuitous use of the hintbook, and I'm just now getting through A2 again without the book (anyway, I think I lost it).

I usually just use the hintbook the first time, and then play through the game without it the following times, except when getting through that room with pillars in order to get the Black Halberd. I use the hintbook then to know where to step (and where not to step).

I find that if I use the hintbook for part of a quest, it's difficult to stop using it, because I want to keep doing it perfectly. Therefore, I most often either use the hintbook for a whole quest, or I don't use it at all (or barely at all).

If I am using a hintbook, I like to play through a section, then check a guide or hintbook to see what I missed and, if possible, go back and not miss it. The Avernum hintbooks happen to be very well laid out for that purpose: being able to see just what the quests are in a town, and usually who gives them to you, is exactly what I want.

I used to try very hard to avoid overusing walkthroughs the first time I played through a game, but now I no longer avoid it and I can't say it has negatively impacted my enjoyment.

—Alorael, who feels no hintbook remorse. This is either a moral defect or a sign of pragmatism. Either way, it bodes well for any spontaneous desire he may feel to break into politics.

Well, since the point is to have fun, and I don't have much fun sitting there doing nothing, I don't mind using the hintbooks at all. I don't usually get stuck too badly (exceptions being things like the Tower of Zkal), so I tend to use them like Alorael and read through after I've finished an area, checking to see what I've missed.

Still, I've no compunctions about reading a walkthrough for an area before I've finished with it--for example, the Fading Tower or the Filth Factory, because you can't go back to get things you've missed.

Hi,

I like to use the "Readme" hints if they are availiable but in most cases I use the Forums web's search engine for some clues. Most of the scenarios don't have "hints" but are linear enough and "make" or "lead" you down the garden path. But in most cases I find "save it", "try it"

and if it's "wrong" then go back and "retry it".

BTW

I once finished a scenario that asked for a code to be E-mailed showing a code as proof that I finished the game. Sad, but I never heard back.

gcmaxxon

I never bought Spidweb hintbooks, because the games can be easily finished without them and any questions I might still have are answered on these forums.

As for BoE scenarios, I had to look up hints for most scenarios I've played. I guess the difficulty of puzzles in BoE scenarios is higher.