QW2: Problems entering fight mode

WalkerWhite

Machine: Macbook Pro Intel 16" running Monterey 12.5.1

I have played all of the Spiderweb games, and I have long used the strategy of entering fight mode before I encounter enemies.  This allows me to set up my characters into strategic positions, instead of getting ambushed.  I do this by simply pressing the "F" key to enter fight mode.

However, Queen's Wish 2 is the first Spiderweb game where I have had problems doing this.  It is not the case that it never works.  The problem is that it does not work reliably.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  When it does not work, it gives me the error message Start/End Combat: Not until the current spell/ability is done. Except that I am not doing anything when I get this error message.  My characters are at rest and no ability has been activated.  In fact, I have noticed a related problem that I generally have to end combat twice, because the first attempt to end combat gives this same error message.

At first I thought the problem had to do with using the mouse to move.  However, I have been able to replicate this problem even when I move using only the keyboard.  As far as I can tell, if I move "far enough" in a dungeon, I can no longer use "F" to enter fight mode.  The only solution is to save, quit, and reload the game.

Some things that prevent a new command, like fight, from starting are if the party is still moving, the program is loading information about the zone, and it is  still dealing with anther ability.

Also some fights won't happen until a dialogue occurs by reaching a certain place on the map.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It just gets in the way with logic. :)