Workaround for games downloaded from Steam?

moonscience

First post on this lovely forum!  Been picking up Jeff's games when they go on sale and decided to snag Avernum 2 on steam.  I'd hoped I could run it without Steam loading up in the background, but the exe provided always wants to invite steam to the party.  Any work around for this?  Love how the other titles I bought from GOG just play as stand alone games (just like the good ol' days!)

I can't be sure about the Mac version of the game, but for the Windows version, AFAIK, no, there is no way to run the Steam version of the game without running the Steam client as well. It's possible to run Steam in offline mode, to turn off the Steam overlay, and to turn off Steam achievements and cloud saves and so on, but the only way to run the game without also running the Steam program at the same time is to buy it somewhere other than Steam.

It's possible- although I'm not aware of Spiderweb's exact policy on this issue- that if you emailed the Spiderweb support address, and explained the situation, that they could either explain a workaround I'm not aware of, or provide an alternate executable that can run without Steam, or even just provide you with a DRM-free copy of the game entirely.

My suggestion would be to email support@spiderwebsoftware.com also.  Explain the situation, provide the Steam key (as proof of purchase) & ask if they could give you a GOG key/a DRM free copy.  Can't hurt to ask anyway

& welcome to the forums, always room for another odd person around here (which if you're deeply into SW games...odd is pretty much a given...)