Exile games will not download from the webpage

Vking

I have loved playing the Exile trilogy, and had downloaded it previously, but cannot even get it to download now. When I click on "Download the fully registered Exile II: Crystal Souls" link, it briefly opens a webpage and the download bar pops up, but then immediately both disappear and it's as if nothing happened. There are no blocks in place to prevent this, and other things download no problem from other webpages. After searching computer files, I confirmed that nothing was downloaded. Please help! It's driving me nuts and google is not very helpful.

For anyone else reading, the download links on Spiderweb's website work just fine.

ADoS, since you aren't hosting the original versions of the games, but rather versions that you have applied changes to, I would suggest

(1) state specifically what the changes are in the readmes ("a particular bug fix applied directly to the original application" is an impressively long description given that you have avoided saying what the fix actually was ;))

(2) make it clear in the download link itself that these are modified versions of the original software.

11 hours ago, Intentionally Left Bank said:

For anyone else reading, the download links on Spiderweb's website work just fine.

ADoS, since [...]

Good ideas. I'll do that when my brain starts working better. Rough morning. I'll append "ModifiedLegacy" to the beginning of the filenames of the ZIPs, append "modified legacy" to each link on the web page, and specify that it's the thrown missiles bugfix in the readme, with the URL of the description of the fix, like I did on the website itself. I'll also mention that the Spidweb site files work but just don't have the fixes. I'll provide a link to the Older Games page too.

I'll see if I can patch the Bash/Pick fix in BoE too, without disabling Instant Help. I wanted to make a tutorial scenario but couldn't make a decent one. Also I came up with a solution for the tutorial that doesn't require the disabling of Instant Help: just create a special party which is already in the tutorial with Instant Help turned off, and tell new players to load the save file. I might give it another shot anyway.

But I still might see what I can put together for a tutorial. I also had the idea to make an interactive scenario design tutorial, but that's definitely premature. Changes to the editor will obviously be dramatic compared to gameplay changes, once development picks up. (I've secured a large amount of money from a generous, anonymous donor, although it's not available to us yet.)

If you're curious about the graphical fixes, mostly what I did was remove stray pixels, make incorrectly transparent pixels slightly off-white, correctly mirror incorrectly-mirrored monster graphics, and completely mirror some graphics which were facing backward both left and right, like the Ice Pudding and the Troglodyte Khazi. I also applied the Mac-colored graphics. I think I forgot to do this, but all Windows-colored graphics will be placed in a subdirectory for convenience, if someone decides they don't like it or are playing a light-colored scenario and it bothers them enough to swap it.

I was able to download the games via the spiderweb software original links, for some reason it decided to work. Now I'm having trouble with getting virtualbox to setup windows XP in order to run the game. I'm stuck trying to select an optical drive for XP to use, but it won't let me change settings at all due to "hardware virtualization is enabled in the acceleration settings of the system page, although it is not supported by the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the virtual (guest) system." If I go and deselect that option, it doesn't allow that change to be saved either, it makes no sense.

UPDATE: I finally got virtualbox running with XP and completely got everything I needed, Exile is downloaded and playable, but the framerate and input is extremely slow, i.e. click mouse and wait 5 seconds for the input to register in the game, is there a fix for this?

EDIT: dialogue boxes that pop up like normal text or notification boxes work normally and with no delay, only the game itself runs slow. Clicking to walk anywhere takes 5-10 seconds to register, the in-game buttons take forever as well, is this just expected since it is a virtual environment and not the original hardware?

Edited by Vking

On 4/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

What host operating system are you running? You haven't said.

Sorry, host system is running Windows 10 on a Ryzen 7 1700, GTX 1070, AMD motherboard I believe. I just am not sure if there is a way to adjust the guest system settings when starting windows XP from virtualbox. It seems to only be the buttons and in-game graphics that cause issues for it because when any regular dialogue boxes pop up in-game like you would see from the OS itself (like normal OK/CANCEL notification boxes), it doesn't cause any slow-down at all, only when you go to click on the game buttons. I'm not sure how to put up a picture if that isn't clear, sorry.

I have the legacy Exile Trilogy and Blades of Exile hosted here, with easy instructions to get them working on Windows 10, without a virtual machine: http://www.BladesOfExile.com/ The original programs on Spidweb's Older Games page do work, but the programs hosted on BladesOfExile.com have a bug fix and some graphics neatening too.

(I'm still in the process of doing some fixes. Slarty's suggestions in another thread will be implemented though.)

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff