What happened to "cutscenes"?

kuo

I think Geneforge 3 was the first Spiderweb game I played - I fondly recall my first time finishing the tutorial and going "holy sh*t" upon meeting Litalia. I enjoyed similar parts of G4 and G5, but it seems subsequent games have discarded this feature... Does it simply take too much time to script those? I'd honestly help write code for those if it was possible...cutscenes here and there did wonders for immersion.

As will surprise no one, I do love a good cutscene. It doesn't take much time to script them, usually, compared to a really good combat (at least for me in BoA—I suspect the same is true for Jeff in everything else). I'd guess, without any firsthand knowledge, that Jeff has just decided to move in a different direction.

I didn't hate them, but I didn't find them very immersive, I think because the character movement was always on a separate screen from the dialogue (except for the little floaty five-word bits).  It just ended up feeling stilted to me.

That said, it may just be that I found the subject matter of the text-based cutscenes (e.g., the Olgai Council scene in E/A2) more compelling than the ones that happened to get a real visual (Litalia, Litalia, Litalia, Litalia, and Litalia).