The Spiral Pit and Mertis

It's quoted from elsewhere, although the only elsewheres that I can find for it don't exactly make it less disturbing.

You can't exactly stop the undead in A1, but you can kill the spirit in the center of the crypt and get a reward for doing something to help. In A2 you can really break the curse with the Ritual of Sanctification.

—Alorael, who wonders if Gorvifal's crypt was inserted in A3 only because Jeff couldn't have an Avernum without a spiral-shaped lair of the undead in one form or another.

Quote:
—Alorael, who wonders if Gorvifal's crypt was inserted in A3 only because Jeff couldn't have an Avernum without a spiral-shaped lair of the undead in one form or another.
Gorvifal's crypt was more roundish, wasn't it? I know it's not exactly a crypt, but the somewhat more spirally Pit of the Wyrm is a truly challenging and freaky level which is my favorite dungeon in A3. It psyched me out like no other dungeon. The reward is certainly tremendous, and it is bitterly bought.