A5 - Morbo

Misc Staple

I've been having trouble in Avernum 5 defeating Morbo under Muck. He seems to be impervious to everything. Using my fighters will just charm them and my mage and priest spells only make small dents. Someone suggested using control foe on Morbo's summons, but they don't seem to do any extra damage and often fight his other summons.

I always remember this to be a long and nasty fight. Control foe is very useful for no other reason that it keeps Morbo's summoned monsters busy from attacking you. Mostly I just wear him down with area effect spells to take him and his summoned monsters down from as far away as I can.

I can't remember after all these years whether there is a damage type like physical that Morbo takes more from than the other types.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, Randomizer said:

I can't remember after all these years whether there is a damage type like physical that Morbo takes more from than the other types.

If it's physical, that's unfortunate, because Morbo charms you once you've hit him with a physical attack. So my priest has to cast unshackle mind + control foe + heal possible injuries. And she only has two turns with haste.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit too late, but for the record, if you successfully charm Morbo's summons, they will attack him and as you know, anyone who attacks him with a melee attack will get charmed... however, a bug causes this to EXTEND your own charm, i.e. his charmed melee summons will remain allied to you untill Morbo kills them (unless they fail their attacks against it repeatedly, but that's highly unlikely to happen in this timeframe).

Edited by Spukrian
typo

4 hours ago, Spukrian said:

It's a bit too late, but for the record, if you successfully charm Morbo's summons, they will attack him and as you know, anyone who attacks him with a melee attack will get charmed... however, a bug causes this to EXTEND your own charm, i.e. his charmed melee summons will remain allied to you untill Morbo kills them (unless they fail their attacks against it repeatedly, but that's highly unlikely to happen in this timeframe).

That seems like not so much a bug as just a consequence of how the Charm effect works; the game doesn't keep track of who charmed you, just whether you're charmed or not. You could call it a design oversight, I guess, but changing it would be significant extra work to deal with an edge case.