Avadon 2 - Konstina Fight

Ircher

• 7 years later...

You do realize that Spiderweb is essentially one guy in Seattle?  After a game comes out, there generally will be a version 1.01 a couple months later to fix bugs that slipped through the beta testing cracks, and maybe a 1.02 if something really critical got missed. That's it. After that, it is what it is and Jeff is on to the next project, hoping to make enough to keep the lights on .

Avadon 2 is over a decade old (2013). I have zero idea what the actual numbers are, but I'd imagine that currently it sells far less than 500 copies/year, and 98% of those through already heavily discounted Steam/GOG bundles. IOW, it stopped making money long ago. The odds of him, today, spending time to fix a relatively minor bug are probably in the same ballpark as me winning the Powerball 'and' having Jennifer Lawrence show up at my front door saying "Take me..." 

But sure, you can ask. Support@ Spiderwebsoftware.com is where you should email it. He might have a folder where he collects ideas/bug reports/etc just in case, off in the future, he decides to remake/update the Avadon series.  In which case that would be good to know.  Otherwise you are just going to have to live with it. Sorry.

There have sometimes been other updates.  Spiderweb is actually pretty good about fixing bugs compared with a lot of bigger developers.

But when there is only one bug to fix, and it's this minor (no meaningful impact on gameplay, and barely anyone's noticed it), and the game is 11 years old... yeah.  That would be a hard sell for anybody.

(As an aside, while it's presumably not a cash cow 11 years after release, "less than 500 copies a year" is definitely not the same thing as "stopped making money.")

3 hours ago, ...are from Tibus said:

(As an aside, while it's presumably not a cash cow 11 years after release, "less than 500 copies a year" is definitely not the same thing as "stopped making money.")

Again, zero idea of actual number knowledge...

I guess I was thinking that now, the vast, vast majority of sales would be part of a discounted bundle.  So maybe a buck or three per copy.  Certainly nothing to turn down or ignore, but not mortgage payment for several months money either.  Perhaps a nice dinner out and paying the utilities/insurance that month...which isn't a bad thing considering that it was from work done a dozen years ago.

On Steam, Avadon 2 is $10.  There's an Avadon Trilogy bundle which discounts each game by 30%.  And there's a giant Spiderweb bundle which discounts each game by 35%.  On GOG, the prices are the same but Avadon 2 isn't actually in any bundles.  Occasionally you get a crazy sale (it's $3 on GOG currently), but I doubt that covers anywhere near 98% of purchases, and zero percent go for $1.  Given the range, it seems likely the average purchas eprice is probably somewhere around $5-7.

Of course platforms take a cut and etc., but just comparing game against game, the newest release (Infestation) goes for $20.  There's obviously a sales volume difference, too, but then there's also a time difference.  A slow trickle of sales over a year adds up.  Jeff has actually talked about some of his games selling more in the long run than they did immediately on release.  So I don't think we can assume profits from a game like Avadon 2 are negligible even now.

11 hours ago, TriRodent said:

You do realize that Spiderweb is essentially one guy in Seattle?  After a game comes out, there generally will be a version 1.01 a couple months later to fix bugs that slipped through the beta testing cracks, and maybe a 1.02 if something really critical got missed. That's it. After that, it is what it is and Jeff is on to the next project, hoping to make enough to keep the lights on .

Avadon 2 is over a decade old (2013). I have zero idea what the actual numbers are, but I'd imagine that currently it sells far less than 500 copies/year, and 98% of those through already heavily discounted Steam/GOG bundles. IOW, it stopped making money long ago. The odds of him, today, spending time to fix a relatively minor bug are probably in the same ballpark as me winning the Powerball 'and' having Jennifer Lawrence show up at my front door saying "Take me..." 

But sure, you can ask. Support@ Spiderwebsoftware.com is where you should email it. He might have a folder where he collects ideas/bug reports/etc just in case, off in the future, he decides to remake/update the Avadon series.  In which case that would be good to know.  Otherwise you are just going to have to live with it. Sorry.

Take your depakote and re-read my post...