Am I in the wrong area?

I think I am in the wrong area of Avernum. I met with the Olgai Council and they decided I was cool so they removed the barriers. I took the portal back to the Tower of Magi. I went to Almaria and was caught in an ambush and the whole party was killed. I went to the Castle and didn't really accomplish anything there, so I went back to the Tower and on the way got mauled by some ogres. Prior to my arrival at the Tower, all the fights were easy or competitive -- I am playing on Casual. Am I supposed to be in the Great Cave at all, or am I supposed to return to Formello on foot? Maybe? Or am I supposed to still be in Vahnatai Lands completing quests...?

Thank you.

Any of the above. Some fights are harder after you return to Avernum. The ogres are hard at your level even on normal difficulty. If you have the items with you there are lots of easy item quests in the Great Cave plus the experience from just visiting places. Otherwise go north from the Tower of Magi back to your starting area and do some quests near Mertis and in the Eastern Gallery. The Vahnatai Lands are also doable if you have the patience to go back to town to recharge.

Casual should make it easier, but there are some fights that are really meant to be done in a few levels.