Game came to a grinding halt with Shigaz in underground lair... please help(spoilers)

shadow9d9

I had to leave my 2 companions above ground and Shigaz was injured. I go up the east wall to Haru, who gives me a key. I moved west, unlock the door, and kill the 4-5 guys in the next room. I have no idea what I am supposed to do now. I cannot solo the 8 guys just north of me. If I try to sneak past to the shade, the 8 guys join the fight. Is the game bugged? What should I be doing?

It's not a bug, it's just a difficult area unless your main character is built to survive being attacked by a bunch of enemies. A Dexterity-based Blademaster or Shadowwalker will do okay, but other characters will probably have trouble. Now's a good time to use any combat items you've been hanging on to. If you're still having trouble, remember that you can adjust the difficulty level during play: dialling it down to Casual for that part might help.

Yeah, unfortunately tanking with health isn't really an effective strategy in Avadon 1 compared to dodge-tanking with Dexterity. Luckily there's a cheat code to let you respec your character on the spot: hit shift-D and type retrain in the dialogue box that appears. Having as much Dexterity as possible will help a lot with fights like that.

Dexterity/dodge tanking sounds hard to me. I guess you would have to be a missile tank?

Yeah. Enemies will generally go after whoever attacked them most recently, so it's not as hard as it sounds to keep enemies focused on you. You do have to take care not to get completely surrounded or pinned against a wall, though, since you need to be able to back up a step to use your missile attacks. You also have to be careful around enemies with cold or acid-based attacks, which Dexterity doesn't help against. Still, that's a small price to pay for having the vast majority of attacks miss you.

With some endurance you can resist or at least withstand cold and acid attacks.

Later in the game there is a teleportation scarab to reposition a range attacker for when you get swarmed. Before that you can usually do enough melee damage even without specializing in it.