What is Spidweb's most successful series?

Level 1 Hermit

I think it's the vehicle rather than the product. New Avernums on Steam will/would also probably sell much better. The Geneforge bundle sold well, but the fact that it wasn't new hurt it a bit.

—Alorael, who suspects that anything on Steam will sell better. Even if its visibility is diluted in all the Steam games it's still more visible than just on Spiderweb.

There are also major differences in price point; on top of which, the world of computer RPGs, and the expectations and demographics of their buyers, have not been static over the last 20 years. I'd suspect that Exile 3 actually had the biggest % of market penetration (and certainly the highest name recognition) of any SW game, in its heyday.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Avadon is most popular purely by luck. It was the very first game Spiderweb released on steam, so it was the first exposure to Spiderweb people had (it was the first game of theirs I played). Plus, it was released at a time when steam released only 4-5 games a week, compared to the 6 or 7 they release a day nowdays. So it arrived at a time that was convenient for its selling well. Had Spiderweb waited just a year longer to go to steam, I doubt they would have been as successful.

I've always thought it was kind of a shame, though, as Avadon is Spiderweb's worst game series by a mile. I suspect that if Spiderweb had released the Geneforge bundle on steam first that might be more popular, but I don't know.

I think the problem with Spiderweb games is that to the general populace they all look exactly the same. So the casual buyer might buy one or two, but unless they play them to completion and really like them they probably won't think they need more than that.