A:EftP - This game rules so hard!

I think AEftP may be my new favorite title in the series. I've spent about twenty hours playing it last week alone and I loved pretty much every single minute of it (though I find Slarty's mod indispensable). The last Avernum title to capture my attention like that was A4, years ago.

The new engine is spoiling me... And of course, I'm also happy about the return of Phil Foglio's illustrations.

I think AEftP may be my new favorite title in the series. I've spent about twenty hours playing it last week alone and I loved pretty much every single minute of it (though I find Slarty's mod indispensable). The last Avernum title to capture my attention like that was A4, years ago.

The new engine is spoiling me... And of course, I'm also happy about the return of Phil Foglio's illustrations.

I couldn't agree more.

what mod is indispensable ? I didnt know there was mods for the games

I couldn't agree more.

what mod is indispensable ? I didnt know there was mods for the games

Slarty's Avernum Remix. He sums up the modifications as follows.

OVERVIEW OF CHANGES:

- Spears, halberds, bows, and thrown weapons improved in unique ways

- Shields modified to make single-wielded swords a useful option

- Battle disciplines improved; some are entirely new; fatigue times shortened

- Quick Action now makes battle disciplines better

- Many spells modified or changed to entirely new ones

- Numerous balance changes (mostly improvements) to items; some are entirely new

- Thrown weapons no longer have charges

- A few overpowered abilities (Adrenaline Rush, AoE spells, AP bonus items) weakened or given drawbacks

- Minor cosmetic fixes on special effects

- A few changes to hint text and tooltips for better accuracy and, occasionally, amusement

I really like it. I think it successfully builds on top of AEftP's strongest points... And it's always nice to have a reason to use Bows, Thrown and Pole Weapons.

The remix is cool enough that Jeff is raiding it for ideas for Crystal Souls. That said, it's probably best to play the original version of AEFTP first, then try the remix. And it has a few bugs of its own, which Slarty never got around to finishing off.

cool thx.

whats crystal souls?