Trained Basilisks Query - Requesting Almost No Spoiling

Alberich

I am at that certain late-in-the-game encounter where someone wants me to lay down my arms, and if I refuse, I get trained basilisks all over me.

I've done some experimenting with that encounter. I have a plan that, if it works, will let me kill those basilisks, though with enormous difficulty. But it will take a LOT of time-consuming gameplay with a risk that I lose anyway (at least on torment it will).

My one question is: if I do this, is it worth it? I mean, will I be better off (or at least able to advance) if I succeed, or is the game going to force me into such a situation that I might as well not have bothered? (If it matters, take it as given that I am pro-Pact; I want Redbeard to step down but I want the enemies of the Pact to lose.)

(In this thread, I am requesting no spoiling of what happens one way or the other, and also no suggestions for better strategy to kill them...though that might make a fun discussion for another thread. I'm asking only for whether, if I succeed, it's worth it.)

It's very, very not worth it.

A little further explanation, just so you can appreciate the extent to which the game screws you over at this point (doesn't give anything away plotwise):

Even if you kill all the basilisks, they just keep respawning until you're captured. There's a tiny bit of treasure you can get to in their nests if you survive long enough to reach it, but nothing important.

I very, very sincerely thank you!

That's what they did when I killed them completely before starting the fight. (I sent a drake ahead to flame them, and they sat there and let him; but when I started the fight they respawned. I thought maybe almost-completely killing them would let me kill them all the way during the fight...thank you again for helping me not waste my time!)