Power Walkthrough: "Stuff Not To Miss"

Slawbug

My second project is a power walkthrough. This lists the key points in each zone in a format that is easy to scan and doesn't force you to wade through extraneous information.

http://www.gamefaqs....tion/faqs/68206

Key points include quests (including new chained quests), noteworthy items, and those easy-to-miss secret buttons. It doesn't list every item or every NPC; you'll want to use the comprehensive Synergizer List for those. But if you just want to check "did I miss anything unique that would really be helping me?" before you move on from a zone, without having to consult a walkthrough or list at every turn, this may save you some time!

Nice work.

Forgetting to flatter Protus once or twice isn't that big a deal. There's something like 8 Protus affection points available throughout the game, and you only need 3 to get his assistance later on. On the other hand, there's also no reason not to flatter him.

Also, there's something weird going on with those evasion chances on equipment. In my copy of the game (Windows version 1.0), they're all 5 times what you've listed there. So the items that have "+5% evasion" are actually listed in-game as +25%, while the ones with +4% are listed as +20%.

I'd also suggest adding golden runestones to the list of noteworthy items, since they're really rare in Avadon 2.

Temple of Aetius has a spectral priest drops searing razordisk.

Blackwood for Yoshiria's quest you can get the Shadowwalker's Mesh reward and then explore downstairs to anger them and get the Starfire Rod by killing a now hostile Opaline.

Edit - The early betas had 5 times the current evasion percentage in the descriptions and then Jeff corrected all the numbers before game release.

Thanks for the additions Randomizer!

Yeah, I did notice the evasion discrepancy. It looks like the betas (and maybe the PC version? Is yours a beta Lilith?) had evasion displayed the same way to-hit modifiers are displayed, as five times the listed value. I assume that's not how they were actually handled, as those huge boosts would make an evasion strategy work, I'd think.

OTOH, maybe the actual boost is 2.5x what's listed given that Dex/End/Int now give 2.5% evasion a pop? Hmm.... does the beta version still list % chances to hit in the combat box, and if so can someone check what's really going on with those?

I checked back at the start and initially Dex/End/Int gave a 5% evasion and items gave there current values but the item descriptions gave 5 times the value like Lilith said. Then Jeff found that he hadn't used a line of code to make Dex/End/Int give 2.5% rounded down or up to 2% for odd case and 3% for even to make it 5% every two levels.

Deep runestones initially gave 1% evasion, but that got corrected to 5% about early October.

Edit - I bet Jeff only corrected the Mac version of item descriptions. I think I fixed all my description when I posted the two topics.

The last version that showed hit rates gave evasion items increasing the monster to hit by the lower value, usually 2 to 5%. I tested it for a solo tinkermage play through to see if I could make it through the final Miranda fight. I compared the to hit with and without an item and 1% evasion now gives 1% change in to hit.

• 8 years later...
On 11/15/2013 at 6:51 PM, Randomizer said:

I checked back at the start and initially Dex/End/Int gave a 5% evasion and items gave there current values but the item descriptions gave 5 times the value like Lilith said. Then Jeff found that he hadn't used a line of code to make Dex/End/Int give 2.5% rounded down or up to 2% for odd case and 3% for even to make it 5% every two levels.

Deep runestones initially gave 1% evasion, but that got corrected to 5% about early October.

Edit - I bet Jeff only corrected the Mac version of item descriptions. I think I fixed all my description when I posted the two topics.

Coming into this . . . Ten years later, the current steam version displays the much higher evasion values for items (e.g, 5% for a deep runestone not 1%). Which is currently correct in game? It makes a big difference!

Deep runestones are a different case from regular items, since they are an augment rather than a regular stat effect.  IIRC the evasion value for the augment effect is always the same and it shows a static description for each augment, rather than generating text based on the evasion stat strength for the item.

Assuming equipment itself (i.e., armor, not augments) shows the same evasion chances as in the FAQ linked above, it's probably a safe bet that the game still applies those chances as stated.

17 hours ago, handle with air said:

Assuming equipment itself (i.e., armor, not augments) shows the same evasion chances as in the FAQ linked above

It doesn't. e.g., 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1894354655341070811/13C78989B65016E3938E632462C4C3FC23F5D3DA/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

In the current live version of Avadon 2 on Steam, all items that give +evasion give five times the amount listed in the above FAQ. It's especially an issue for Deep Runestones since, like, adding them to an item is irrevocable, so it's a big choice, but it's consistent across all items, not just runestones.

I'm *assuming*, based on the above, that the FAQ is correct and the game isn't, but it's not  clear.

edit: not all items, just all equipped gear. In-pack charms seem to list the smaller values, not large multiples. This leaves runestones really ambiguous.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy