[G2] Gems, Crystals, and Emeralds

Okay, so I've been hoarding a bunch of gems, crystals, and emeralds because I think they are for either a quest or for crafting. Is that what they are for, or am I hoarding these for nothing. I literally have over 5k in gold worth now.

Also, I found a Mined crystal near the Medab road, does that have any importance. And what jewelry am I suppose to keep for later enhancement. Please let me know, thanks.

~RainbowDashRadical

All the following information is available in the FAQ or the Strategy Peripheral.

There are merchants who will infinitely buy gemstones, emeralds, iron bars, and shaper equipment.

Odd items like Demon's Claws and Blood Poison are used for crafting (a full list of such items is in the FAQ). There are no "item enhancements" in this game like you might be expecting based on the later Geneforge games. There are two recipes that use an item, though; one needs a steel breastplate, the other a steel sword.

There's someone who will give you canisters if you bring puresteel rings (I believe those are a special item) and mined crystals.

I hope that helps.

So, mined crystals matter, others don't. Gemstones and emeralds matter, too. You will want your money to pay skill increases from various people later in the game. No jewelry matters.

Most crystals are just gold in another form. Look for people who would buy them, they would buy for it for a better price than normal shops, I know of one that buys iron bars, he is in the first city you will cross. But keep an eye out for special named crystals. Like flawless etc. People would need them, one is Sharon in her grove.

-----

I thought you know about this? Sorry, I have mistaken you for Trenton :p

-----

-Nightwatcher

As I recall there is a dude standing around outside Fort Mud who will buy gemstones and emeralds and such. He pays less for them than regular merchants do, but unlike them, he has infinite gold to pay with. So you'll get much more total gold over the course of the game by selling everything you can to that one guy, and selling everything he won't take to the regular merchants, until you drain them of gold.

I seem to recall that mined crystals are also necessary for making canisters, as well as the much rarer puresteel rings, so you may want to hang onto them for a while.

Otherwise, as Triumph said, Geneforge 2 introduced one or two special artifacts that can be made by combining some unique special items. The Emerald Chestguard, in particular, is almost a game-breaker. In addition to being quite good armor, it gives you 2 extra AP, and in the old combat system of G2, that's just deadly. With it and a couple of other things you can get your default AP up to 12, and then boost to 18 with Haste. That's just insane. You can run half across the map in combat, or walk into a room and fire off three Auras of Flames in a row. Ur-Drakon? More like Ur-Marshmallow.

Emerald Chestguard was fine for how late it came imo, if you want to talk game-breaking how about Strong Daze ? That can be acquired really early and afaik only Searing Artilas are immune. Add that it's AoE, doesn't need a to-hit check like normal Daze and works with minimal mental magic and you have a totally bonkers spell. Strong Daze -> Parry -> Emerald Chestguard imo regarding brokenness in G2.