Engine Critique

Thynar

I have played Avernum 3-6 + New 1, Geneforge 1-5 and Avadon, and throughout my adventures, one thing has really bugged me, not game-breaking, but on the map and isometric view, it looks a little.. off.

http://i1121.photobu...forge3Trees.png

Here's what I'm wondering, what if the outer layer of trees were to be 'see through' like the ponds of water, you cannot step there, and it would show up as a full 'green' space on the map, with no pitch black area.

I don't see how this might be considered a cheat, it could help you spot ambushes maybe, but overall I think it would be better.

What do you guys think?

Current "see-through" code is also "shoot-through" code. which is not ideal. Those black spaces are also where things are sometimes hidden. It could be fixed up, and I agree that it would be nice to have areas look like forest until proven to be secret clearings, but I doubt Jeff will do so.

—Alorael, who will also point out that Jeff doesn't read these boards except for game-specific forums, and that usually only when a game has been recently released. Or take suggestions from fans, for the most part, but you can always try email and hope for the best.

And to be fair, the engine could hide ambushes in what looks like green space instead of what looks like black space. It would just need to have an "unexplored interior of explored, opaque bondaries" fill that could display trees until the area was actually revealed to be something else. Yes, there are problems with that. Just a less abrupt fade into blackness so that it doesn't look like a thin layer of trees around an empty black space would be an improvement.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there was any suggestion of removing ambushes. It's a purely visual problem, and to be fair that visual problem has been a visual blight on Spiderweb games since G1. The last good-looking forest was either Avernum 3 or N:R, depending on how you determine last.

What do you mean by this ?

He probably means that even if you are separated from a particular area by a (presumably) water body, you can still see it, unlike what's happening with the trees.

(I will just add the trees look rather dense to me, and since It doesn't really make any difference to the game play, Jeff probably won't care.)

And to be fair, the engine could hide ambushes in what looks like green space instead of what looks like black space. It would just need to have an "unexplored interior of explored, opaque bondaries" fill that could display trees until the area was actually revealed to be something else. Yes, there are problems with that. Just a less abrupt fade into blackness so that it doesn't look like a thin layer of trees around an empty black space would be an improvement.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there was any suggestion of removing ambushes. It's a purely visual problem, and to be fair that visual problem has been a visual blight on Spiderweb games since G1. The last good-looking forest was either Avernum 3 or N:R, depending on how you determine last.

You explained it much better than me! :)

@BMA: I'll say the early Avernum games seem to be a good example, and I was wondering if something like that could be incorporated into Avadon 2 somehow.