A4: Mouse Lag in Inventory Screen

sage

I am using Win7 and have a pretty fast computer. When ever the inventory screen is up in A4, I have a ton of mouse lag, like the frame rate is really low. It makes inventory management extremely painful (trying to sell stuff is very tough, since you have to click on the wee little pile of coins). I tried running in compatability mode for XP, but didn't help. Any known solutions? Edit -- as a note, no problems at all with A6, A6, AEFTP, Nethergate or any of the geneforge games. Just this one.

Okay, played around with this a bit. Bumping up the process priority doesn't help, and, when in the inventory screen, it maxes out one of my CPU cores. My guess is that there is some extremely inefficient code that's maybe doing some kind of composition for the inventory window. Bummer, it makes the game close to unplayable.

I had this exact same problem, give me five minutes and ill post the fix i found for it. On my tablet now, sorry for the typing.

I fixed it.

You'll need to download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

Launch the 32-bit version, create a new custom database, then a new application fix. Navigate to the affected game executable, select it, and then, on the second page of fixes, look for "ForceDirectDrawEmulation."

To make sure the fix stays, right-click the database and select "Install" which will apply the fixes when you launch the game outside the Compatibility Administrator.

This was taken from the tech support section of these very forums, and it worked perfectly for me. I say this because you may be loathe to trust a random link someone posts to you, so you can easily find it in the tech support forums here if you want the original post.