I never bothered to say thank you

Maestro

Right before I deployed I begged and cursed and maybe even stabbed a little for an earlier release of Avernum on the iPad. It's a great game! The odds seemed thin, but I begged anyway and viola, right before I had my utilities shut off I was able to read the announcement and download the game.

Now I spend half my time securing a COP in the middle of nowhere and the other half of my time riding helicopters back and forth to KAF for one thing or another. It's a lot of relatively short but uncertain trips that require a lot of moving around, so I'm glad I get to pack light and just bring my tablet - along with perhaps my most favored game ever. I might be homesick for Seattle, but I have a potent distraction.

But I never bothered to say thank you.

What a jerk.

So thanks, guys. I look forward to future releases, and as soon as I'm done being sincerely grateful, I will begin harassing each and every one of you to start working on a Geneforge update.

Sincerely,

-Stephen

P.S.

The good news is I got to fly on a Black Hawk helicopter.

The bad news is I threw up all over myself on a Black Hawk helicopter.

Avernum is a great game for your situation. A totally different world, for when you need a break. You might want to hold off on trying Avadon until you've been back home for a while, since its scenario of being a troubleshooter for a stabilizing power in a violent world might have too many reminders of reality. I'm not saying the parallels would be close, just that you probably don't want to even have to think about parallels at all, and with Avadon that might not be guaranteed.

I've only ever ridden in Hueys and Kiowas, just a couple of times and doing no violent maneuvering whatever, but even that was really cool. What struck me was how helicopter height is different from flying in a plane, because you can still see everything, but everything looks simplified. The roads look perfectly straight, the hills perfectly round and smooth. Everything looks like a diorama. It's uncanny. That was many years ago, just in some brief training in the reserves in Canada, but the memory has stuck with me and I think it has helped inspire a lot of my current research work, on multiple scales in physics. It's not true that military experience has no carry-over into civilian life afterwards, just that it can be hard to explain how the experience can be transferred.

There is also now Avernum 6 available for the iPad. It's the end of the story as you play soldiers sent out to help the locals deal with problems: insurgent sliths invading Avernum, local drug dealers raising skribbane, the last of the terrorist Darkside Loyalsits, and all the crazy mages (are there any other type). A bit more linear than Avernum: Escape from the Pit since you have to take orders as you work on finishing missions to get promoted instead of being free wheeling adventurers,

Thank you for serving.

Thank you for serving, sir.

Due to the more serious nature of this thread, there will not be a Silent Assassinism. Instead, I'm going to break character completely and let you all know that in the time that I was gone, the young man who inspired and sometimes plays the Silent Assassin joined the Marines, and is currently, as he puts it, fighting the War on Terror with his tuba.