A Sort of Odd Recommendation

Death Knight

I have a friend who Ive known for a while and his birthday is coming up. It just recently came to my attention that he plays a lot of turn based strategy games/some roleplaying elements. Here's where it gets interesting, while he's played games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 4, he's never even heard of roleplaying games like Baldurs Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil, Planescape torment, where you create a whole party, or other turn based party rpgs. He has played Dragon Age though and said the isometric view is really cool.

I was thinking that while he has played some strategy games with roleplaying elements, I want to recommend something from Spiderweb Software he can finish without too much frustration.

Does anyone have any game ideas that might work if he is into strategy/rpg?

That sounds like a good idea. I was going to recommend Avadon or Geneforge but don't know if he can get into it. I'll probably go with Avernum Escape from the Pit as its the most recent, if he can't get into Wesnoth. I only played Wesnoth for a half hour, but it seems to have some cool things in it. Thanks all.

It's worth remembering, though, that Exile won't work on modern computers.

If he likes Dragon Age, you could do worse than letting him try Avadon, or perhaps some of the Geneforge games; I'd be a bit unsure whether to suggest Avernum or Nethergate (though they are far superior) just because, from what you say, he doesn't seem inclined to try party-based RPGs.

I would not recommend him exile because the graphics are an issue for him. Avadon might be a good choice though. The main problem is that he's played a lot of computer games, but a lot of the strategy games he has played are games that aren't that hard. I might just stick with Wesnoth as its going to be aggravation otherwise.