Replaying on hard - Suggestions?

Dear Potato

I'm about to start a new game of Avadon - my second playthrough.

My idea is playing again as a Sorceress (I have soft spot for magicians; I really like playing caster classes). My first experience with Avadon was in Normal difficulty; I consider myself a competetent player, but not a master. I found normal very enjoyable, and I liked how the challenge pace grew with every new mission (except the optional final fight, of course, wich is... well).

So, without having more experience, I thought that Torment could be extremely irritating since I don't really like too hard challenges. I'm assuming hard would be difficult, but not just irritating. Is this the case? Is there much difference between normal and hard?

Also, it's possible to advance in this difficulty level with a damage-spell based Sorceress (the left path, I mean).

Thanks! ^_^

My only playthrough was on hard, so I can't compare it directly to normal - but hard did not seem too difficult. Especially now that you have experience from playing through it once already, I think it'll probably go fine on hard. Generally if I play Spiderweb games a second time, I up the difficulty by one notch to maintain the same amount of challenge.

The monster health increase in Avadon isn't as bad as with other Spiderweb games. You can even get through the game on torment with a Sorceress that isn't accompanied by Hands except for a few fights. I tend to increase the center column for increased resistances and damage multipliers. Also focus mastery at high levels allows you to absorb magic damage to reduce cool down times.

You might like to increase dexterity to help with evasion depending upon your playing style. If you lead from the rear then it doesn't matter until the final return to Avadon where the acid attacks are nasty unless you have lots of endurance and dexterity.

I found the left skill column to be generally better than the right for the Sorceress, although of course you'll want to keep her middle column skills boosted as well.

Keep in mind that you can change the difficulty at any time during play, so if you're finding Torment too hard you can dial it down to Hard, and if you're finding Hard too easy you can kick it up to Torment. If you care about earning medals, you might as well start the game on Torment and see how you go.

@The rev: I normally do the same with other games; but, this is my first time replaying a Spiderweb game, and reading some posts in the forum made me think that Avadon could get pretty irritating on higher difficulties... but I guess you are right. I've been playing RPGs since childhood and I have the experience of a first playthrough ^_^ I'm curious, though, if I will be able to kill certain dragon and certain demon...

@Randomizer: Thanks! The final part is one of my most feared parts. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it, sinde I don`t like the idea of pumping points on dex. I'll look at builds on the forum anyway ^_^ By the way, I was thinking of the left and center column for this sorceress.

Lilith: Thanks! I dindn't thought that. I'll try torment and see... but I'm not sure if I'll be capable of going through the hardest parts! ^_^ I also find the left path better; I trained my sorceress that way the last time, and Nathalie in the right path... and frankly, I never find her very useful, except for some encounters.

Thanks for all your answers!

Originally Posted By: Dear Potato
@The rev: I normally do the same with other games; but, this is my first time replaying a Spiderweb game, and reading some posts in the forum made me think that Avadon could get pretty irritating on higher difficulties... but I guess you are right. I've been playing RPGs since childhood and I have the experience of a first playthrough ^_^ I'm curious, though, if I will be able to kill certain dragon and certain demon...

The dragon was a bit tricky on hard, but not impossible. The demon was actually fairly easy, when I come back at an appropriate level. (He cleaned the floor with me when I tried to take him on when I first met him!)