A:EftP - Post-game queries (spoilers & requesting spoilers)

Since I've beaten the game, and won't have time to replay it, a couple of things I'm curious about --

In Sulfas' lair, the statue tells me about an untrapped treasure chest. I see what looks like the secret treasure area through a window in the south wall. And I see a button next to a statue on the west wall - but I can't reach that button past the statue and tables.

I found two spots in the game where I could kill my enemies without them fighting back. (That is, before starting a fight, I go into combat mode and keep answering "yes" when asked if I am sure I want to fight this friendly character -- yet they do not turn hostile and neither does anyone else.) One is in the Empire Ambassador's room below Formello - I killed her golems without a word of protest, and when I came back to kill her (out of sheer joie de vivre after I killed her emperor), I cut her down to her last few health points before going out of combat mode and having the conversation that provoked her to fight me.

The other spot was in Pyrog's lair - the giant guards in her room (but not in other parts of the lair) could be killed in this "friendly" fashion. I didn't see any other encounters like that. My question is - are there other encounters like that in the game?

I didn't save the game in a place where I could test what happened if you abandoned Avernum after reaching the "final gauntlet" exit. If I had done that - would it have made a difference whether I'd first killed Hawthorne and Grath-hoth? Also, would it have given me any personalized information about the people and places in Avernum? I suspect not - since the messages I got when I completed all three quests were pretty generic.

A comment - One thing I love about most Spiderweb games - Avadon in particular - is the way you get to see the consequences of what you've done in the various towns and on the various NPC's (e.g., "With Meera and the giant chieftain dead, Bargha comes to dominate the abyss...with Kyass dead, Avernum expands into the northern caverns to prepare itself for the coming war....your ill-advised murder of the ambassador makes war come that much faster...") I really liked the part of the Avadon ending (pro-Redbeard) where you got to pick what kind of job you wanted, and that was woven into the ending. (I'd like it even more if the individual characters' final attributes led to short descriptions of where their careers went...a little like in Cute Knight...okay, it probably won't happen any game soon, but I can dream...)

Sulfras

You need to fight Sulfras to get the statues to move away from the hidden switch button. Jeff dropped the alarm when you open the chests since there isn't anyone left to complain. :)

Scripted fights tend to be weird if you use combat mode to initiate the fight before doing the script trigger. I know at one point in beta testing I couldn't tell Pyrog's giants in the east room that they were unemployed after killing Pyrog.

Thank you!

One other question I forgot to ask. One of the spell-point traits says you're good at chess. I bought it; I had lots of intelligence; but I never got to where I could beat (or even challenge) the chess player who's in the first city north of Fort Avernum --

Is it ever possible to play that guy?