What happens next?

I beat the whole thing, just wondering story wise what happens next in Avernum 2. I can go get it sure, but was wondering if it takes place on land, or is it still underground?

In terms of story, is there a huge arc that spans the entire series? Or are they written so they're sort of modular? (skip avernum 2 and play 3, etc) I'm still curious as to how Kyass's project turns out, and where Scimitar goes with their revenge. I mean, Scimitar is okay in the context of this game since what they can do was limited, but it seems like if they get out of hand, they'd be over the top aggressive rebels.

And Erika.. man, if she's let loose, that can be pretty serious too. Do these play out in Avernum 2? Scimitar + Erika.. that's bad news for the surface people man..

I think the idea of 2 is that Avernum rebels succeed in getting the attention of the empire, and assassinate (perhaps with your help in the first game) Emperor Hawthorn.

So the empire decides to send down huge armies and crush avernum like a bug. The second game is about surviving that invasion.

The third game, I think was about avernites finally returning to the surface after a long period of no contact - what they find there and what has happened on the surface in their absence.

That's my understanding of the gist of it.

I remember in E3 or A3 (or whatever I had a demo of when I was a kid) there was a global timer mechanic - you literally had to beat the game within a certain number of days, and what quests you spent time doing in which order effected what ending you got.

The stories are quite modular. There's an overall arc of events, but it's not quite like the plot of a story. Much like history, there are just events and reactions and new events. You can jump in anywhere, although you'll miss out on a bit if you skip games.

A2 is still underground, as Kestral says. You just kicked the Empire in the shin really hard, and they come down to Avernum to get revenge and prevent this from ever happening again. The game is about fighting off the Empire and finding and dealing with new, strange allies, the vahnatai, who are the original and very powerful natives of the caves. Avernum 3 is the one about returning to the surface.

What happens with Kyass can't be said because that's a new addition that didn't exist in the earlier versions of the games. Scimitar loses importance and doesn't figure into the plot in the future. Erika, however, remains important, and her revenge is pivotal to A3.

—Alorael, who hopes this helps. The only thing he'd add is that A1-3, or maybe A1-4, largely tell one story. A5 more or less picks up the B plot from A4 and runs with it. A6 acts as a coda to the series and wraps it up without really following on any previous plots, except as they affect the makeup of the world as a whole, but it also gives satisfying conclusions to some of the major characters.

Interesting.. Surprised Scimitar loses relevance. Vahnatai, eh. I remember going into a vahnatai crypt and grabbing something. Sounds like I'll need to get back into A2. I'm guessing the whole series is going to be re-released with the new UI/interface?

OMG avernum2 looks... well, I guess I shouldn't judge the book by its cover. I thought the latest version looked pretty decent. Does A2 even run in win7?

Originally Posted By: kensuguro
Interesting.. Surprised Scimitar loses relevance. Vahnatai, eh. I remember going into a vahnatai crypt and grabbing something. Sounds like I'll need to get back into A2. I'm guessing the whole series is going to be re-released with the new UI/interface?

That's the plan. Well, the first three games in the series will be, anyway. A4 and onward are newer and probably won't be remade for a while yet.

Originally Posted By: Kestral
I remember in E3 or A3 (or whatever I had a demo of when I was a kid) there was a global timer mechanic - you literally had to beat the game within a certain number of days, and what quests you spent time doing in which order effected what ending you got.

There's no absolute time limit on the main plot as such, although the longer you take, the worse things will get, causing some characters to relocate or disappear. There's also an event that occurs after a certain amount of time and has to be dealt with.