The state of game design today

jetcitywoman

The appeal of FORTH was that you only had to code a handful of the most basic operations in native machine code. The bulk of the language was defined on the basis of those. That made the language highly portable, but because all operations had to be performed on the stack, it was a serious pain to write for, and nightmarish to maintain. You had to keep careful track of what values were on the stack and in what order. Not only did the stack contain variables, but also procedure call addresses and return addresses. If you weren't careful you could very quickly wind up in 'phred space'.

(Phred space: noun: the area of memory that is logically addressable, but not physically present, not even virtually.)

• 2 weeks later...

Understanding individual lines of code isn't the problem. Understanding chunks of it is. I open a random source file, and it's ~4000 lines long, with ~50 externs, and really long functions. It's too tightly coupled; I can't understand what a particular function or file is for until I understand every other part of the source.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I imagine it depends what kind of programming languages you are used to. I found it surprisingly easy to understand, but my coding experience was mostly with C-style syntax in the mid-90's, so that probably helped.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that little detail. At the time, my experience with C-style code was precisely nil, so it was no wonder I was lost almost immediately. Since then, I've started teaching myself the basics of C++; if I were to look at the code today, I'd still be lost, but not quite as much.

Originally Posted By: Homage
The BoE code is horrible. Esp. the original release. the CBoE code is a bit better, but still, it's not something you can just jump into.
I can imagine. Once I really learn the language, I might take a crack at helping to clean it up. Thus far, every programming class I've taken in college has had a heavy emphasis on writing clear, efficient code.

EDIT: In the meantime, could someone kindly post a link to the code? I had to reinstall Firefox from scratch, and it somehow didn't make into my backup bookmarks. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Miramor
Part of the deal is probably that it was coded Back In The Day when every ounce of memory and CPU power was worth saving.
I originally learned how to code towards the end of those days; those programs back then were miniscule. I've even heard of executables that were so tiny and lightweight, their impact on your system could be measured in bytes for cryin' out loud.

Unfortunately that compactness has a downside. Move that 68k assembly to OS 9 on PowerPC, and suddenly you have bugs that can trash other programs' memory. Leave WriteNow open for too long on a PowerPC Mac and chances are something will eventually crash. (Probably the OS, what with the lack of memory protection.)