Avernum : EFTP review (RPGFrance)

Well, it's actually a French review (the only one out there?), but a review nevertheless. Anyway, here's the translated summary just for you:

Avernum: Escape From The Pit may well be a remake of a remake of an antediluvian indie game, it is nevertheless refreshing and invigorating. It must be said that its flavor is immune to time, its taste oblivious to technology. That impalpable little something often noted when we run out of words to qualify great things, it's there somewhere. Avernum is certainly limited by its creator’s capabilities in terms of modest design and technological level, and has neither the claim nor the means to shake the old school RPG references. The shape is not exactly the most attractive and the design is marked by a blatant classicism, but the content is enthralling, fascinating and inspiring. Isn’t it the most important?

Pros:

- Masterly literary writing

- Tactical and strategical combat

- Appreciable exploration and freedom

- Decent lifespan (60h +)

- Ridiculously low price (10 bucks)

Cons:

- Some technical deficiencies (Interface, AI and pathfinding)

- Audio is somewhat recessed

- More munchkin-oriented than Role Play-based (Poor C&C RP and some filler quests)

Score: 8/10

Here's a google-translated link (for what it's worth): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...pe-from-the-pit

Here's the original one: http://www.rpgfrance.com/test-9991-1-avernum-escape-from-the-pit

Good review. I more or less agree with their criticisms and score (I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10 if I had to evaluate it objectively as it does have some pretty big interface/AI issues that are hard to ignore and gets a bit too trash mob-y at times. Although, subjectively I probably enjoyed playing it a bit more than that objective score would indicate).

I assume "munchkin-oriented" is a quirk of google translate? Or are they suggesting this game would have particular appeal to folks in Oz?

Originally Posted By: Juan Carlo
I assume "munchkin-oriented" is a quirk of google translate?

"Munchkin" is a pejorative term originating from tabletop RPGs, referring to players who are more interested in acting out power fantasies than roleplaying a consistent character. It seems like it originated from the observation that many younger players have that tendency. I think a more accurate and less negative translation in this case might be "hack and slash": the game is admittedly quite focused on killing monsters and collecting loot.

I think the summary is pretty good. The interface can be somewhat hit or miss at times, the audio is understandably limited by budget, and the roleplay elements are somewhat muted, but given their origins, what do you expect?

On the other hand, writing has always been the main pillar of these games, the combat system engages well, there are far too few exploration and freedom based games these days, and the size is monumental.

If I were to do rate the game, well... It'd be really hard for me to objectively analyze Avernum, really - two much previous experience bias. Ultimately I'd end up doing a point by point comparison between it and the original.

It can't be a quirk of the Google translate, because Andariel kindly provided a real, human, and sensical translation along with the link to the full automatically (and oddly) translated review.

—Alorael, who thinks that Spiderweb games in general are niche games. For people who like the niche, you can give them ratings like any other game, and they'll make sense. Yes, it's odd to compare Avernum to Dragon Age, but not really more odd than comparing it to Starcraft. For those who don't like the kind of game Spiderweb games are, there's no point in trying to rate or compare. The rating is Do Not Play.