Suddenly cannot play Geneforge

vvvvv

I did post in the Geneforge forums previously as 'loalog'; but cannot seem to retrieve my password as the reset email never arrives.

Anyways... I have the Geneforge Saga, and recently obtained the second Avernum trilogy off steam (also have the Avernum 1 remake). Not sure if it is related but now I cannot start:

Geneforge 1 to 3 or

Avernum 4 and 5.

I was quite far into Geneforge 1 and was enjoying it alot (Cleared Western Wastes and area after Tribal Woods).

I tried deleting Avernum 4 and 5 without success. Geneforge 1, 2 and 3 use to run perfect on my comp, now it keeps saying "A Fantasy Role-Playing Game has encountered an error..."

I am pretty sad right now, I don't know what to do and I blame Steam. I am not sure how, but steam is responsible.

One minute = all good, next steam updates and = no good.

Originally Posted By: MMXPERT
Or you could just ask Jeff for a serial for the spiderweb version.

I remember someone saying that he gives them for free to people who bought his games elsewhere and cannot play them.

Jeff is usually pretty good, yes, but if the amount of bug reports being filed here is anything to go by, if every single person having the problem emailed Spiderweb he'd pretty much be overwhelmed with them in no time.

Best thing to do is wait; Jeff is aware of the problem and Steam is hopefully getting a fix ready.

^^^"Aware of the problem, amount of bug reports"... where are you getting this info?, I thought I was the only one smile.

BTW, I am (very)content with playing Avernum for now. I plan to buy boxed copies and get the spiderweb keys eventually, can't have steam inteferring again.

So I won't harass Jeff, steam is probably causing him alot more heartache right now...

Pretty much all of the posts relating to this are in the Tech Support forum (the one directly below this one), though there are a few in the Avernum/Geneforge fora too.

In short; you're not alone - anybody playing earlier SW games on Steam seems to be affected.