Avernum 4 & 5 & 6 on steam?

So the only spiderweb game I have played is avernum: escape from the pit. I just saw those other avernum games on steam I'm a bit confused how they relate to acernum: eftp. I may pick them up but I'd like some clarifications first. Are they direct sequels to that game or something? Is there an avernum 2 or 3? Are those steam games some kind of remastered versions of old games?

Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a remake of Avernum 1. Avernum 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are sequels to Avernum 1. Avernum 2 and 3 are eventually also getting remakes so that they'll look better and run better on modern computers; Avernum 4 onwards were made in a newer engine, so there's less urgency to remake them, although apparently the Steam versions sport some graphical improvements.

Each game gives you enough background information to know what's going on within that game. You may be less emotionally attached to some recurring characters, and less clear on exactly how some things came to be the way they are, but you'll certainly understand what you're supposed to be doing, at least.

The only major concern is that the plot of A4 can ruin the plot of A3, which to some extent turns on a mystery. Not to the point where the game isn't fun if you already know the solution to the whodunit, but it's fun to get the surprise yourself.

—Alorael, who also thinks the appearance of a race you haven't encountered yet gets somewhat less impact if you've already been chatting with them in A4-6. Little things like that, not story breakers but potentially story blunters.