Gender roles in reality

Student of Trinity

Originally Posted By: H+
It's not that you should disbelieve everything by default, but you should remain aware of the potential of flawed information, especially in personal testimonies. Again, such testimony is not without value, but should also not be relied upon entirely or accepted without at least the acknowedgment of the possibility of misleading or incorrect information. That you're basing your position off of this one source is not the best endorsement for it.

I am basing my opinion on all my personal experiences and all relevant information that I am aware of. I am mentioning one piece of reporting, that I did consider well-investigated at the time of reading it, in order to give the other participents in the discussion an insight into the process with which I arrived at my conclussions.

I would be glad if other posters would also support their statement of opinions in the same way.

I am also prepared to adapt my own view of the situation immediatly if I am presented with any data, annecdotal or otherwise, that I have not been aware of previously. To my recollection this has not been attempted by anybody within this thread yet.

In short, I have to refuse your suggestion of giving up my current opinion solely due to the fact that it is based on incomplete data. If I did that in general, I would only be left with opinions on topics from my immediate field of work, which would surely be of little interest to the vast majority of people in this forum.

I invite you to rather add your own exeriences and data to the discussion.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is now the second of two threads on this topic that have devolved to the point that mods are going after each others' throats -- or if that is an overstatement, then at least that we are acting without any semblance of decorum.

It is also the second thread on this topic that I am locking. But this one I am locking on my own.

I think that everyone here came to the discussion with only good intentions in their heart. But the discussion has gotten out of hand, to the point that highly charged invective is being thrown around in multiple posts -- and it is being thrown around not out of hatred or immaturity, but simply because this can be a very personal topic.

As we all know, Spidweb himself has locked threads about polarizing topics like gay marriage and abortion on sight. So while these threads are not forbidden, there is a line. It looks to me like this thread has crossed the line and is not something we can all discuss without offending each other -- even if we bring good hearts to the table.

FIN.