The murky graphics

The main problem I'm having with this incarnation of Avernum (among others, but less significant) is the general lack of contrast in the graphics. The objects sort of blend together and I have to squint. Most of the time the only way I can tell whether or not there's something on the ground is to hammer "g" every few steps, which gets old pretty fast.

Furthermore, the only way to find interactable objects (chests, dressers, fireplaces) is to mouse over them, with no "look" key of any kind. They don't stand out from the the decorations much, which leads to more eye strain.

Edit: this turned out to actually be a lie, the "u" key does this. However, the resulting letters are really, really tiny and eye strain remains, sadly.

Compare it to the graphics of Avernum 1-3, which were clear, crisp, colorful, and everything was recognisable on the spot.

Am I alone in this? Does it get better in time? Am I missing something? Is there a secret "unmuddy the graphics" option somewhere? smile

As it stands, prolonged sessions make my head hurt from all the squinting - something that doesn't happen with other games.

Using a lantern can help a bit, if you're in a darkened area. Obviously, turning brightness and contrast up on your monitor helps too.

There's also this thread where someone was working on m-- oh, I see you've posted in that thread already. Any luck contacting the thread creator?

Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
The 'U' key will highlight usable objects like chests, switches, etc.

Doh! Indeed, I'm not sure how I missed it.
Still though, the tiny, tiny letters that show up after pressing it are, well, tiny. Lighting up the objects mouseover-style would be much better, methinks.
Originally Posted By: Lilith

There's also this thread where someone was working on m-- oh, I see you've posted in that thread already. Any luck contacting the thread creator?

I popped him a PM. We'll see...

Well, I am rather happy with how the game plays, but I only tried going with my screens natural resolution (2560x1600) for about 20 seconds.

Due to the excessive eye-squintiness of that experience, I switched to 1280x800, and with that sizing it is quite easy to make out interactive objects and on-ground items.

Since that resolution is still nice to look at and giving a decent overview, I don't really have any complaints.