Played exile a long time ago, how different is this?

Basically I played demos of exile 1/2 when I was a kid, and highly enjoyed them. So I see what seems to be a remake of it on steam but from the trailer it looks much different.(only 4 characters to start.) I see that the plot is the same but how similar is the gameplay and leveling system?

It is definitely worth the buy, several things were changes in terms of gameplay...

-Party limit was reduced

-Death Penalty was removed

-New stat point system

-New skill point system

-New trait system

-Map has quest markers

-Graphics overhaul

-ect

The storyline of the game is pretty much the same, with minor changes.

Since this is the second revision of the Exile story, and the second engine upgrade, the game is going to have a different look and feel (obviously).

Not that this is a bad thing. The isometric perspective, while "dated", is perfectly serviceable for what the game does, and the lessons Jeff has learned over last 15 years emphasize doing more of what is fun in an RPG like this (exploring, fighting, getting phat lewt, choosing how your characters level up) while trying to streamline - or eliminate - the stuff that's tedious (inventory management, finding quest objectives when given vague directions, reload-inducing death penalties).

Originally Posted By: Llothis
Basically I played demos of exile 1/2 when I was a kid, and highly enjoyed them. So I see what seems to be a remake of it on steam but from the trailer it looks much different.(only 4 characters to start.) I see that the plot is the same but how similar is the gameplay and leveling system?

The gameplay and leveling have changed a lot.

While the core of it remains the same, lots of things change the formula. I'd recommend giving the demo a whirl before deciding on a purchase. Many of the differences will be welcome but some may be headache inducing if you're not familiar with Jeff's more recent work.