Giant Rat Gained a Level!

Nioca

Okay, I recently got and have been playing Avadon. Currently just wrapping up the second trip to the Kva with the ogres, and generally doing my best to kick rear and take names on Torment. However, there's one thing I've noticed as I've been playing.

...Are the world's monsters leveling up?

Maybe it's just because I'm playing Torment, but it seems that the Giant Rats of Khemeria are ridiculously more powerful than the Giant Rats in Avadon's basement, and there's no explanation for it. Cosmetically, they're the same exact rats; there's no mention of Khemeria having larger or more dangerous giant rats than the rest of the world, or having the rats titled "Khemeria Giant Rat" or "Khemeria Vapor Rat", or even getting a simple hue adjustment. Nope, these are bog standard giant rats, and they were still handing me my shadowwalkery rump on a silver platter despite having gained 8 levels since the last time I faced giant rats. The same thing happened with Giant Spiders and Giant Cavebats. Seriously, it's kind of disheartening to take on ogres by the dozen, only to get knocked down a peg by the same monster you were slaughtering at level 1.

Has anyone else noticed this? And does anyone else feel like whatever conspiracy is going on behind the scenes would be better off just releasing a bunch of giant rats from an end-game section and watching them completely annihilate Avadon?

Some monsters are adjusted from base stats for certain areas even if they seem the same. Torment doesn't give quite as big an increase in Avadon as it does in Avernum, but it should be about twice as many rounds to kill something as it is on normal with the same character.