Click sensitivity - difficulty moving in Avadon

dwimordene

Anyone else having trouble moving their character in Avadon? I'm playing on a MacBook Air, Lion 10.7.2, and not experiencing this in any other application or in the OS. I'm using the MacBook's built-in Trackpad.

When I click on the screen to move my character somewhere - a location that can be seen by the characters - it often takes three clicks before the location is 'recognized' by my click.

I'd estimate this is happening 50% - 75% of the time I click on the map to move my character. Doesn't matter if I'm indoors or outdoors, doesn't seem to be dependent upon obstacles in the path. I tested this by clicking in various distances from my character to a target destination.

I suspect there may be a setting in the voluminous (!) number of gesture options in Lion/10.7 - but can't nail it down.

Thanks for any assistance!

You can test that hypothesis, at least. Try turning off all gestures and see if clicking improves. If it does, you can turn on gestures a few at a time and see which cause problems.

—Alorael, who would also like to know if you're having trouble with any other clicking, or if it's just movement that's not working right.

All gestures except one are off, and this is the only application with this trouble. The only gesture that is on is "Tap to click", which works as expected in all other applications.

Good question about clarifying other clicks. It is *all* mouse clicks.

I've tested this by tapping the Trackpad in all four corners as well as dead center, and there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in how poorly the taps are picked up as clicks. I've tried all five Trackpad areas in Avadon, Mail, Safari, Finder, Twitter, and iCal - the apps I use the most.

Seems to be an issue only in Avadaon.

Have you tried Avadon in a window, or not running it in a window if that's what you're doing? In windowed mode, see if clicking outside the Avadon window always returns you to the Finder. That will at least show whether it's Avadon making clicks not register or Avadon not registering clicks that the system picks up.

—Alorael, who doesn't think it's a general Lion problem. Someone else would have mentioned it.

Originally Posted By: Better living through shaping!
Have you tried Avadon in a window, or not running it in a window if that's what you're doing? In windowed mode, see if clicking outside the Avadon window always returns you to the Finder. That will at least show whether it's Avadon making clicks not register or Avadon not registering clicks that the system picks up.

Done both windowed and full screen. Though that raises an interesting question about resolution. My MacBook is set to 1366 x 768 and the only gesture is "Tap to click". I think I'll try different resolutions to see if that could be the issue.

Quote:
—Alorael, who doesn't think it's a general Lion problem. Someone else would have mentioned it.

Yeah, while I agree with that it's curious the issue I'm experiencing happens only in Avadon. Couple of other points that may/not matter:

• My copy is from the Apple App Store
  • This behavior has been present in every upgrade (three, IIRC)
  • Graphics Extra Details = Don't Draw
  • No scripts or customizations
  • Does not happen in Angband wink

Have you tested whether Avadon prevents the system from registering clicks or only fails to register clicks itself by clicking outside the game window in windowed mode?

—Alorael, who has no sympathy for you if you're clicking in Angband. Not even if you have no numpad with which to move diagonally.

Avadon does not prevent the OS from recognizing clicks. When it's in windowed mode a click outside the window, either on the desktop, menu bar, or in the Dock is recognized.

Oddly enough, in full screen at a reduced resolution, it takes about three times the number of clicks (!) before it's recognized. Moving the mouse to scroll the map works as expected: immediately responsive.

Odd problem, and my search of the forums didn't turn anything up, so I'm guessing I must the Chosen One with this ;-)

A couple weeks ago I upgraded my Mac to Lion and bought the Magic Trackpad to replace my mouse. I have the same problem with the trackpad. It works beautifully in all applications except for the Spid game, and there it takes several taps to register a click. I went back to using the mouse for now, but emailed Jeff to volunteer to help him troubleshoot it. He's been busy lately, but hopefully he'll come back to this.

Originally Posted By: jetcitywoman
A couple weeks ago I upgraded my Mac to Lion and bought the Magic Trackpad to replace my mouse. I have the same problem with the trackpad. It works beautifully in all applications except for the Spid game, and there it takes several taps to register a click. I went back to using the mouse for now, but emailed Jeff to volunteer to help him troubleshoot it. He's been busy lately, but hopefully he'll come back to this.

As a test I downloaded Avernum 4 and Avernum 6 and both of those, like Avadon, have a very hard recognizing tap to click. But, like you see, all other applications on my Mac, including Lion, don't. I sent an email with a use case and machine specifications to the support email address.

Hopefully it's not something difficult to fix.