Just finished[G5]

I just finished the game and must say that Jeff did a fantastic job in creating the world of Geneforge. It has been a blast!

I might go back in a bit and replay because I messed up my faction. Wanted to be a Trakovite, but I dumped the Purity Agent before getting that quest. So, I switched to Astoria and had a great time with the ending battle.

WARNING - BIG SPOILERS AHEAD!

The Shapers won. If Ghaldring had been willing to stay in the east he might have survived. But, he brought on his own demise by being greedy.

Terrestria was divided into two parts, with the rebels controlling the east and the Shapers controlling the west. In the beginning everyone was afraid of the power of shaping, but that seemed to be changing as time rolled by.

Rawal became the head of the council, and Taygen went back to the desert where he became even more deranged. Astoria was never fully trusted by the rest of the Shapers because of her support of the rebels. Alwin died a few days after the truce was approved because he couldn't accept sharing power with the rebels.

Our hero(ine) made a decent live for his/her self despite being basically a "half-breed" who never actually uncovered the truth about his/her past.

No, but Astoria isn't the only one willing to forge a truce at the end of the game. She's the only one working towards it at the beginning, really, but it's quite possible to get an uneasy detente without backing her.

—Alorael, who finds that to be the most plausible ending. The rebels have come too far to be crushed utterly, and you cannot unring a bell. The Shapers are strong enough that it seems unlikely that they'd cave completely. The escalating war of superweapons means either everyone dies or everything settles into a cold war.

Quote:
Alorael, who finds that to be the most plausible ending. The rebels have come too far to be crushed utterly, and you cannot unring a bell. The Shapers are strong enough that it seems unlikely that they'd cave completely. The escalating war of superweapons means either everyone dies or everything settles into a cold war.

This was something I disliked about Alwan's ending: it just doesn't seem plausible that the intervention of one new shaper/lifecrafter would change things from a situation in which the rebels canonically win (q.v. every ending in which the PC is out of the picture), to a crushing victory for the Shapers. Ghaldring's ending seems more plausible, but not the means by which it happens: it just doesn't seem reasonable that one individual, even a very powerful one, would be able to take out all seven members of the Shaper council (the first four basically unaided). Ghaldring's ending also makes the PC seem kind of redundant, since we know that this is essentially what would've happened had the PC never intervened. For these reasons, I tend to favor Astoria, Litalia, and Taygen's endings. For all that I hate his genocidal guts, Taygen's seems especially appropriate in this respect. It's very 'for want of a nail': everyone else wants the purity agent destroyed or compromised, but Kayar's Spire is very well protected, and perhaps one (more) powerful lifecrafter fetching components and playing guard would have meant the difference between completion and failure.

Alwan shouldn't be alive in G5. His death is fitting.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Astoria quite fits as Gorbachev. Yes, she's the one reformer, but she does so by allying herself with enemies of her regime. She has to do that because she isn't the leader, just one of the leaders, of her state, unlike Gorbachev. But collaborating with the enemy is a big deal.