Unequippable Items with Weight

Bushwhacker2k

Actually, it's a leftover feature. Earlier Spiderweb games counted total inventory weight towards encumbrance. Items have still kept weight ever since even though they don't need to.

—Alorael, who imagines it's mostly because they obviously do weigh something even if the engine never examines the weight. Jeff decided against removing weight from the engine. It's probably easier to just put in cosmetic weights than to decide that weight will never be used again.

Originally Posted By: Am I not audible?
Actually, it's a leftover feature. Earlier Spiderweb games counted total inventory weight towards encumbrance. Items have still kept weight ever since even though they don't need to.

—Alorael, who imagines it's mostly because they obviously do weigh something even if the engine never examines the weight. Jeff decided against removing weight from the engine. It's probably easier to just put in cosmetic weights than to decide that weight will never be used again.

So it is a feature that wasn't really implemented, ok.

BTW am I reading too much into your post or are you saying perhaps in Avadon 2 it will make a difference?

No, I'm saying it's a legacy feature that was implemented in older games. Weight having an effect was deprecated, but the display of weight remains. I very much doubt that Jeff will go back to the old encumbrance system, since as far as I know the new one has been received with universal joy and relief.

—Alorael, who actually knows that old-school fans grumble about the encumbrance change. You can't please everyone with any change, ever. But most people like it, and Jeff isn't looking back.

Originally Posted By: This * is a veiled reference.
No, I'm saying it's a legacy feature that was implemented in older games. Weight having an effect was deprecated, but the display of weight remains. I very much doubt that Jeff will go back to the old encumbrance system, since as far as I know the new one has been received with universal joy and relief.

—Alorael, who actually knows that old-school fans grumble about the encumbrance change. You can't please everyone with any change, ever. But most people like it, and Jeff isn't looking back.

I realize that's what you were saying, and I was saying it was not implemented as a feature that has any real effect in Avadon.

It was probably made to simplify things, I can see why the change was made though I also recognize that making things easier isn't necessarily viewed as a good thing by the older fans (and anyone who has played less simplistic games).