nVidia vs. ATI

Necris Omega

So this morning my computer starts up with a sound the likes of which made every neuron in my brain associated with computer hardware scream in tandem. Taking off the case's side panel, I find that, much to my repeating dismay, the fan on my video card has died. Again.

Now, I've already been thinking of replacing my current machine (or at least the majority of it's grotesquely outdated parts... so the majority of it) but this really takes the cake. I was on the fence about a new video card along with a motherboard, CPU, memory, case, and OS what with having recently replaced the fan and installed a new heat sync on it. Now, however, that fence has summarily collapsed.

As I type this, I've a floor fan pointed directly into my open case, holding my Radeon 4850 HD at a working 50° C whilst my files back up. I've nothing running to tax it, but I really don't see myself running, say, Skyrim in a few weeks on this poor crippled card. Thus, sadly, it needs to go.

SO then... between the two titans of video cards, what's the suggestion? I've worked with both and run both brands to the melting point (my nVidia at the time had no temp. sensing fail safe to shut it down, so it literally WAS a melting point) and can't profess a strong preference.

Performance between the two is really neck and neck and varies by how much you want to spend, your performance needs, and which company just edged ahead with new releases. If you want to latest in graphics cards, Ars Technica is probably the place to check.

—Alorael, who writes this using a Geforce 8600M that's showing its age.

Not sure about ATI and Nvidia, but I for some reason favor ATI.

As for AMD and Intel, I like AMD much better. I have two PCs with the same specs specs, besides the processors, and both have integrated graphics chips. The Intel one is supposed to be better and is brand new, while the AMD has been sitting around for a while getting cluttered. The AMD gets a steady FPS of at least 125 (where I cap it) on my favorite FPS on almost every map. The Intel often drops to around 40 FPS, despite having the graphics settings on the PC to max performance.

Originally Posted By: Mod.

As for AMD and Intel, I like AMD much better. I have two PCs with the same specs specs, besides the processors, and both have integrated graphics chips. The Intel one is supposed to be better and is brand new, while the AMD has been sitting around for a while getting cluttered. The AMD gets a steady FPS of at least 125 (where I cap it) on my favorite FPS on almost every map. The Intel often drops to around 40 FPS, despite having the graphics settings on the PC to max performance.
You say they both have integrated graphics chips, but are they the same integrated graphics chips?

Originally Posted By: Mod.

Why on earth would you need 125 FPS? Modern monitor only have a refresh rate of 60 Hz, meaning that over half of the frames rendered by you GPU aren't even displayed, and the human eye has trouble perceiving any difference beyond 40 FPS or so. There is literally no reason to tax your computers hardware and shorten its lifespan to get a framerate of 125- it's just stupid.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Why on earth would you need 125 FPS? Modern monitor only have a refresh rate of 60 Hz, meaning that over half of the frames rendered by you GPU aren't even displayed, and the human eye has trouble perceiving any difference beyond 40 FPS or so. There is literally no reason to tax your computers hardware and shorten its lifespan to get a framerate of 125- it's just stupid.

Actually, there is a difference on the game I play with having 125 FPS. I don't see a need to go into detail as to why, but its an old game, which relies on CPU more than graphics card, and isn't very graphic intensive anyway, so 125 FPS isn't hard to get.

Frame rates over 60 FPS can help most when you have fast-moving objects. Although the eye can't separate the images, it can pick up the difference between objects that teleport and those that actually pass through the space between. It's from the fact that it's not the eye that has a frame rate, really. Neurons in the eye will keep firing in staggered fashion constantly; each one can't produce a whole image, of course, but each one does have some input to visual processing and, in turn, to what you perceive.

—Alorael, who has seen monitors sold with much higher refresh rates than 60 Hz. They tend to be specialized gaming hardware, though, which means there's even odds that the difference isn't perceptible to anyone but the most highly trained. That's not sarcasm; he'd believe that serious gamers can tell the differences between very high refresh rates the way artists can distinguish among more colors than the general population.)