Lost losted soldiers in Jereth Deeps

Superba

Yes, I told them to sit and wait then I simply forgot about them after completing the Ogres quest, went to Zethron before realizing they were still there, well, they were there nomore. This means I definetely lost that red axe? Or is there a way to get the Lost Soldiers quest again?

Went back to Watcher Harissa, she said all soldiers were dead and didn't give any reward.

I killed every single orc in the area, except those you meet after leading the soldiers, but those couldn' kill anybody because they appear after you take control of the soldiers...

That's simply unfair. Doesn't work like this in Sevilin quest, when you don't join the soldiers they flee and that's all.

They told you that they couldn't hold out much longer. You can explore the zone as much as you like, but if you leave without rescuing them, they all die. No way to fix that without cheating.

Presumably, the justification is that they gave up on you and tried to make a break for it, then got slaughtered by the ogres that ambushed them on the road - the ones you were meant to kill.

I know there's better weapon later on but the timing for a good weapon is also important. They are not only located here and here but there's also a sense in "when in game" you get it.

However, just in case: anybody knows if you find the soldiers alive also when you don't speak at first to their leader, then you complete the quest, go back to Zethron, go back to the soldiers to (eventually) speak with the leader?

Thanks again. That is what I usually do for Beraza main quests; simply ignore the allies until the other area quests are closed, then go back to other areas to get rewards and only in the end the party go back for the main quest. This is rational to me, avoid to store too many quests in Journal that bedazzle and usually the party gain at least a level before the main quest.