Triple Slartifer, Part 7

Slawbug

DANTIUS

290 - YES (+5)

HAMLET

How all occasions do inform against me,

And spur my dull revenge! What is a man,

If his chief good and market of his time

Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more.

Sure, he that made us with such large discourse,

Looking before and after, gave us not

That capability and god-like reason

To fust in us unused. Now, whether it be

Bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple

Of thinking too precisely on the event,

A thought which, quarter'd, hath but one part wisdom

And ever three parts coward, I do not know

Why yet I live to say 'This thing's to do;'

Sith I have cause and will and strength and means

To do't. Examples gross as earth exhort me:

Witness this army of such mass and charge

Led by a delicate and tender prince,

Whose spirit with divine ambition puff'd

Makes mouths at the invisible event,

Exposing what is mortal and unsure

To all that fortune, death and danger dare,

Even for an egg-shell. Rightly to be great

Is not to stir without great argument,

But greatly to find quarrel in a straw

When honour's at the stake. How stand I then,

That have a father kill'd, a mother stain'd,

Excitements of my reason and my blood,

And let all sleep? while, to my shame, I see

The imminent death of twenty thousand men,

That, for a fantasy and trick of fame,

Go to their graves like beds, fight for a plot

Whereon the numbers cannot try the cause,

Which is not tomb enough and continent

To hide the slain? O, from this time forth,

My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

330 - YES (+4) - In fact Bellerophon's name can be translated in two ways: as "Bellerus the Killer" or as "The Killer of Bellerus." There is also some confusion about his actual parentage, what happened to his brother Deliades, and so on. Following SLARTOphrenia, there are two heads and it's not clear which one tells the truth and which one lies...

Am I the real Slartaret or did I kill Slartifer and take his place?

TRIUMPH

310 - YES (+4) - although it's simpler than all that: mal, bad, if a seed or a beginning grows into something that does not follow, you could say the text was bad.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

313. HOUSEHOOOOOOLD NYMENS - Black hole Howl?

The extra 'o's certainly look like a howl. Can I speculate that someone named nymen found a black hole somewhere and had it named after him/her?

288. So full of truth & yet so unwise - One explanation for Project Slartificus

Slarty has so much truth to impart but he was unwise in starting things that he didn't have the motivation to finish. Project Slartificus is his attempt to rectify his unwise use of his truth.

328. SLARTY TASTY!!!1!! - Lacking in tact

The writing lacks much tact and is not tasteful at all though the PND would have you believe otherwise.

300. Vngrs Ssmbl Ll T F Rdr - Scarlet Man and Hawksilver

Well if the PDN refers to Marvel comics, then the superheros might go with it, though I do not recognize either Scarlet Man or Hawksilver. Silverhawk... I thought there was a Silverhawk so maybe their names are mixed up and go together with the mixup of the missing vowels.

324. MIRROR MIRRANDA CHIBIORUS - Preaching to the tiny about New York transflections. The key to matching these, for me, is chibi, which indicates something small, and tiny in the clue. In the PDN, we've also got allusions to "mirror, mirror," Miranda, and something else (-orus). Hmm, Miranda in the Tempest isn't much of a preacher, from what I recall, but there are other Mirandas out there.

292. Suspended Anima - Hidden compensatory Japanese fem

Anima refers to Japanese cartoons and a suspended film would be hidden from the public. Suspended animation could be the world's way of compensating for lack of a cure for something.

299. Bidirectional Reflection Whale - Really not going anywhere

Bidirectional means going both ways and reflection could be like a mirror. Mirror images don't really go anywhere even though they look like they're in different places.

288. So full of truth & yet so unwise - Lacking in tact

Usually those who lack tact say things truthfully but in a way that gets themselves in trouble making it unwise.

328. SLARTY TASTY!!!1!! - One explanation for Project Slartificus

Obviously, the only reason for Project Slartificus to exist is because we all love Slarty so much and find him and his conglomerations so interesting. (and delicious)

TRIUMPH

324 - YES (+4) - Mirror Miranda, meet Victor Victoria, which gives you trans and New York. Mirror gets reflections, Chibi gets tiny, preaching to the gets chorus, and I think this had something to do with one of the many Spiderweb Mirandas.

JEWELS

292 - YES (+3) - Anime, with an E, refers to Japanese cartoons. Normally Anima is pronounced differently, but if you start to pronounce Animation, as in Suspended Animation, but stop after the A, it sounds like Anime. Anime is Japanese; the Anima, in Jungian psychology, is a hidden, ultimate-compensatory part of the psyche, therefore pictured as female for men (the female counterpart being the Animus); and of course, fem(ale) is suspended just as anima(tion) was.

299 - no

288 - YES (+5) - this one really was that simple

328 - YES (+2) - lol on the flattery - but this is, as has been suggested earlier, a reference to the Demon of Good Taste. Surely Project Slartificus is tasteless enough to protect me from ever having my soul consumed by the demon..

LIST UPDATED

JEWELS

315 - YES (+4) - the apocalypse is in fact not finality, but what signifies finality; meanwhile, a plosive is a type of speech sound (in English, b, d, g, p, t, k usually) that is pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from a vowel. I suppose this all could have referred to Porky Pig, but that's an afterthought.

Last run for the night.

323. ALT DOT STUPID ENSIGN - Die die die

Though I am loath to say it this makes me think of ensign Wesley Crusher. Even though his acting skills were subpar, Wil Wheaton was my first celebrity crush. (so sue me, I was 8) Pairing it with the clue... well I know there are those more vocal with their opinion of his poor acting skills and simply not liking the character... the heathens!

301. The Secret of Eureka - Sealed area in Sylx Tower

A secret in a sealed area? Very likely. I'm sure it's a reference to a game I have never played before.

304. Caudes Consultem - With the approval of the blockheads

Consultants could give their opinions and approval for things. So... Caudes are blockheads?

291. Exersociatique - Breaking in the vernacular

Just another of Slarty's great new words. Makes me think of breaking in new running shoes, eh? Socializing and critiquing are both using some kind of communication.

JEWELS

323 - YES (+3) - alt.stupid.ensign.die.die.die was created, I believe, around the same time as alt.sexy.bald.captain

301 - YES (+2) - FF3j

304 - YES (+2) - take-off on a common Roman phrase, seen for example on coins: "SENATES CONSULTEM" or "with the approval of the senate"

291 - no

321. SPACE RACISM (XE'S NO PARAPHOBE) - Future deviancy fears Renegade Soundwave. Stuff "in space" tends to be in the future, and racism is widely considered wrong or perhaps deviant behavior. The "phobe" of paraphobe may connect to the fears in the clue. Renegade Soundwave was an electronic group with a single called Space Gladiator as well.

317. WHOWHAT THREW SPACEDRAIN WATCHE! - 4-2 feature. This might be a nonsensical stretch...but 4-2 reminds me of the way levels are sometimes identified on older video games. Some googling suggested that in the original Super Mario Brothers, level 4-2, there was a hidden warp pipe area. Perhaps, then, you are alluding to warp pipes with the term SPACEDRAIN.

317. WHOWHAT THREW SPACEDRAIN WATCHE! - THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!!!

While the PDN itself is impossible to understand, it may refer to someone who has to try to decipher things like this all the time. Internet customer service, anyone?

298. Intension - Really not going anywhere

The untraveled road is paved in good intentions. Tension can be related to stretching something where, while it gets larger or tighter, it does not move.

Intension is also a song by Tool with the line "moved by will alone". If the will has only good intentions, again it will not go anywhere.

JEWELS

316 - YES (+2) - Gilgamesh reminds you of Gargamel? That's confusing. Gilgamesh was the King of Uruk, of course. Garr, meanwhile, was a demon in Breath of Fire III. I'm pretty sure this PDN referenced something else too, but couldn't remember what.

TRIUMPH

317 - no - but you are sort of sort of on the right track

JEWELS

317 - YES (+3) - Black hole spacedrain, yes. The rest of it is a reference to a line from Howl, by Allen Ginsberg:

who threw their watches off the roof to cast their ballot 

for Eternity outside of Time, & alarm clocks

fell on their heads every day for the next decade,

The Gargamel/Gilgamesh was just a word association thing. Like what I'm gonna do with this next clue.

294. Leadendy - Really not going anywhere

Word association makes me think of Legendary which is the catch phrase for Barney in How I met your mother. The whole of the series is supposed to represent a father telling his kids how he met their mother and the story goes on and on and on without really going anywhere. With the current spelling we have end and dead and lead all of which would lend to someone being unable to go anywhere especially if filled with lead.

313. HOUSEHOOOOOOLD NYMENS - Bonus points if you have any clue where this one came from

I really don't have any clue where this comes from but my guesses are it relates to household names, and NY men, some of which may be household names. How about House the TV series? He's getting oooooooold.

291. Exersociatique - 4-2 feature

The social etiquette of exercising is a feature of the newest release of Wii fit 4.2. (Okay, not really but...)

299. Bidirectional Reflection Whale - Breaking in the vernacular

It's a PDN of a new slarty-language.

TRIUMPH

299 - YES (+3) - It's the Star Trek IV of Mario Bros stages! What's more, when you go into sub-space in level 4-2, the whales flip horizontally. Of course, that's what all terrain does, but the whales are the only terrain in the game that is actually alive.

JEWELS

313 - no

291 - no

299 - no

313. HOUSEHOOOOOOLD NYMENS - Breaking in the vernacular. Okay, so by googling I find that nymen is a slang term. Vernacular is common speech. Perhaps we could conflate slang and common language. So something that has become a household name is commonly know, or has broken into the the vernacular.

291. Exersociatique - Really not going anywhere.

294. Leadendy - Bonus points if you have any clue where this one came from.

If my explanation for 313 is correct, then these must be the last two answers.

What about my 294?

Quote:
294. Leadendy - Really not going anywhere

Word association makes me think of Legendary which is the catch phrase for Barney in How I met your mother. The whole of the series is supposed to represent a father telling his kids how he met their mother and the story goes on and on and on without really going anywhere. With the current spelling we have end and dead and lead all of which would lend to someone being unable to go anywhere especially if filled with lead.

291. Exersociatique - Bonus points if you have any clue where this one came from

This came from an exercise video on social antiques.

313. HOUSEHOOOOOOLD NYMENS - Breaking in the vernacular

And trying out all those household names.

JEWELS

294 - YES (+3) - a dead end leads nowhere and lead is heavy so it doesn't go places either

TRIUMPH

313 - YES (+5) - that's way more elegant than my original thought

JEWELS

291 - YES (+2) - I have no idea where it came from either. Wasn't that though.

313 - OK (+2)

DIKIYOBA

313 - OK (+4)