A6 - Change Save Game folder location

Dig314

I sympathize with you Alorael. But these times they be a changin'. I still miss the days of thee 80-column punch cards. Well, no, not really. It's just that is when I first discovered computers and found my affinity for programming. Super Star Trek on a text-only console was also a big hit.

Finding a job that you love to do is like having a life's paid vacation.

Originally Posted By: How I fish in mine?
—Alorael, who misses the save system from earlier Spiderweb games.
I miss those too; I had everything right where I wanted it, and the system changed.
Originally Posted By: Harehunter
80-column punch cards
My father used to work with those, back in the day. I think he still has a few of them somewhere in the basement.
Quote:
Super Star Trek on a text-only console was also a big hit.
I found that game in a book with some BASIC games. I could never get it to work, though, despite having typed it verbatim into my Apple ][e.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Actually I still have a print out of the source code we used on the university mainframe. Do you speak FORTRAN?
FORTRAN, no. However, I was fairly decent at coding in Applesoft BASIC once upon a time (though nowadays I'm very rusty), and I have an Apple ][e emulated on my computer.

You have to be careful because not all dialects of a programming language work the same. The most common difference is the number of bytes in a word for representing numbers. This can cause overflow, negative complement of the value (exceeding the gold cap in Spiderweb Games because Jeff didn't want to use a larger integer), or the game places the wrong information in the variable.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
You have to be careful because not all dialects of a programming language work the same.
Yeah, I discovered this when I tried to run it. I had to use a command-line GOTO in order to run the program without crashing (I never could find the actual error); and I also had to do a bit of a rewrite so it would display better on the screen.