Is an Avernum PORT into Avadon possible?

Plebian

Been reading up on the Avernum series, and, man, I can't believe I've passed over these games for so many years. I remember first coming across the Exile series when I was just out of uni and thinking, "Looks kinda interesting, but...meh...I'll just play Daggerfall again."

Now that I've fallen hopelessly and passionately in love with Avadon, I can only begin to fathom all of the people that are saying the game is "too limiting" compared to Avernum. This game??? Too limiting!? I'm definitely hitting Avernum in the future!

My question is, how possible would it be to port the Avernum series into the Avadon engine? Are there plans? I love the whole retro thing, but Avadon really feels polished to me. I would hate to give that up to play the other series. Besides, I LOOOVE playing this on the iPad. Just perfect.

Avernum in the Avadon engine on the iPad would = very cool.

Avernum remakes are being made using a version of the Avernum 6 game engine with the continuous map. Avadon used the Geneforge game engine.

It's easier to make an iPad port when you are still planning the remake so I guess that future games will have iPad versions. Jeff really hated the work to get Avernum 6 ported to Cocoa from Carbon to sell in the Mac App Store so I don't think any of the older games will get updated to iPad. So I guess there will be more remakes of the older Avernum and Geneforge games with the latest game engines in between the next few Avadon games.

Our current plan is to port all future games to iPad. The next game to get this treatment for sure is Avernum: Escape From the Pit, which should be out for the iPad in, say, April or so.

Adapting Avernum 6 to Cocoa was something of a hassle. But, considering how Avadon HD is selling, porting Avernum 6 to the iPad did cross my mind. Probably not, though.

- Jeff Vogel