Do skills cap at 8 points?

dodo

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Actually, they get the same bonuses for reaching 9 and higher as they got for reaching 7 and 8, that is, +20% to accuracy and +4 damage dice.

Oh, has this been confirmed now? That's pretty nice. Last I heard, the bonuses for 9+ were the same as the bonuses for 1-6. 4 levels of damage still isn't anything to write home about, and definitely inferior to an extra +5% damage from the middle column by endgame, but it's at least noticeable.

Where did you hear that? I didn't think it was ever in dispute. You can see this really easily for yourself by moving any skill up from 8 to 9 and seeing how much your displayed damage estimate increases.

Also, it may not -always- be inferior to the extra 5%, because all of those extra 5%'s apply to the extra levels of damage, but the extra 5%'s are always 5% of the base 100%, so they give diminishing returns. I got the highest value on Sharpshooter Spray damage, for example, by focusing on the archery skill + column rather than the middle column for the extra points.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Where did you hear that? I didn't think it was ever in dispute. You can see this really easily for yourself by moving any skill up from 8 to 9 and seeing how much your displayed damage estimate increases.

Last time there was a topic on it, somebody (Randomizer?) posted that skills above 8 only gave 1 level per extra point.

Quote:
Also, it may not -always- be inferior to the extra 5%, because all of those extra 5%'s apply to the extra levels of damage, but the extra 5%'s are always 5% of the base 100%, so they give diminishing returns. I got the highest value on Sharpshooter Spray damage, for example, by focusing on the archery skill + column rather than the middle column for the extra points.

Whether the percentage bonuses stack additively or multiplicatively doesn't actually change how they compare against additive bonuses at the margin; this may be counterintuitive but is still true (proof is left as an exercise for the reader). The only relevant question is whether 4 levels of damage is less or more than 5% of your total pre-multiplier damage; that is to say, whether you already have less or more than the equivalent of 80 levels of damage, disregarding multipliers.