A6 - Interesting Character/Party Builds?

Propaganda

Right now I am playing pure classes Warrior, Archer, Priest, and Mage (customs) and they are well, a little 2D. Right now my archer is doing pathetic damage and my warrior is doing just OK. (hard difficulty, right outside of demo area)

So, I am thinking about starting over and dropping my pure archer =(. Are there any interesting party builds I can try out to escape vanilla? I've read somewhere somebody does four battle monks, melee and heals. That sounds interesting but the lack of a mage is unappealing.

So far my next attempt is going to be two warrior tanks, a priest, and a mage. (all pure) but that is still rather plain.

Bows are notoriously underpowered in A6. They're worthwhile as a secondary skill, say on a caster to increase the number of damage types they can deal, or on a tank to allow them to get enemy attention from a distance. I generally go for one dual wielder, one pole wielder, one mage, and one priest, and then stick archery and tool use on whichever two have the least need for skill points (usually pole user and priest).

I find archery and priest spells work together pretty well, since archery solves a problem that priests have: a lack of cheap, reliable single-target damage early in the game. It also provides access to battle disciplines, which are nice for everybody. I played through the game with one dual-wielding fighter, two priests with moderate archery skill and one mage/priest with somewhat less archery skill. It helps a lot to make your hybrid archers Nephilim, since the free points in missile skills free up more skill points to spend elsewhere. Mage/priests are powerful and versatile, but just plain difficult to make in terms of skill points: if you want one in your party, consider feeding most of the knowledge brews you find to them.

This is what I call my Mad Monk Squad:

1) Fighter/Priest (Armored Infantry); elite warrior: This character is my tank. Give this guy all the heavy armor, strength, endurance, melee with at least level 3 priest.

2) Fighter/Priest (Combat Engineer); nimble fingers, strong will: This character gets a bit less in the combat skills, but get high skill in unlocking traps. Also starts with at least level 3 priest. If you like, give this one pole skill instead of swords.

3) Priest/Mage (Combat Support); Pure spirit: Give this guy level 4 priest, level 4 mage. Intelligence and other such skills are his strength. Don't forget to add to his endurance or his hit points will stay low. I also like to train a little in melee (which needs a bit of strength and dexterity). If the guy can swing a sword, it can save a few spell points.

4) Mage/Priest (Artillery); Natural mage: Again start out with level 4 in priest and mage. High intelligence and other such skills. Again, I like to train a little bit in combat skills.

While building up on their combat skills in my two fighters is priority, I like to increase the priest skill to the level required for Divine Fire. (Armored Infantry does get too use mortars.) It also doesn't hurt for them to be able to bless, heal and cure. The Priest/Mage gets bonus ability with priest spells, but don't forget to keep his mage skills up. Fireblast is too a spell to have only one PC capable of using it. As for the Mage/Priest, he also gets bonus ability in mage spells, but having the ability to cast strong healing spells is very handy.

This party is about as multidimensional as you can get. Needless to say, it is a very expensive team to build. Take every opportunity to gain experience points, and gain levels. My team has a strong addiction to Knowlege Brew and other such items.

As for archery, thrown weapons and the like, I tend not use them. With a level 3 or 4 skill, all my characters can cast smite, which has a higher damage potential than archery. Granted, archery can be used effectively, but it takes a lot in skill levels to be useful. Priest levels are expensive too, but you get the added benefit of the healing spells. No need to lug around a bunch of potions.