Suggestions ?

Damien

Hello,

I've searched for a bit and didn't find any topic dedicated to suggesting ideas for the betterment of the game. I don't know if that's an omission or anathema here, but I had this tiny idea I just had to shout, because this is the internet, and therefore I am an extremely important person.

It's simple really, I'd like it to be possible to be able to add notes on the map. Sometimes you can find people, merchants or else that are not indicated on the map, so adding your own little note here could help.

And that's about it.

Good idea.

One that has occurred to me is the ability to filter or perhaps just colour-code quests. It is of course realistic that Lady Antje's request for a stolen totem should stay in my notebook. Nevertheless, I believe I found that totem and gave it to someone else. Also, erm... let us say that Lady Antje may no longer be deeply interested in the things of this plane.

Also on my wishlist is a super-streamlined inventory that I never have to worry about. As a card-carrying pack-rat, I find that even Jeff's latest scheme does not quite suffice. Acceptable would be a fixed inventory of 20-30 items per character that contained everything that can be accessed in combat. (Less than 20 would be more tactical, but better suited to a roguelike than this kind of game.) For example, runestones would just appear on their owm tab, even if there are hundreds (they would auto-sort too). Your combat inventory would have wands, scrolls and potions, and any rings or weapons you might conceivably want to switch, though in truth no such switching is probably necessary. [The now ancient Daggerfall actually went some distance in this direction.]

Originally Posted By: Gerry Quinn
Good idea.

One that has occurred to me is the ability to filter or perhaps just colour-code quests. It is of course realistic that Lady Antje's request for a stolen totem should stay in my notebook. Nevertheless, I believe I found that totem and gave it to someone else. Also, erm... let us say that Lady Antje may no longer be deeply interested in the things of this plane.

If you talk to her and tell her you've already given away the totem, you can get that quest wiped off your list. Of course, it sounds like it's a bit late for that now.

I really want combat to move faster. I don't want to spend half an hour or more in one fight. With a few exceptions, combats were short on the lower difficulties, but I'm afraid to try the higher difficulties because I'm sure combat will get bogged down a lot more.

Dikiyoba also would like the lockpicking skill to go away entirely or be available to all classes so that Dikiyoba isn't judging character classes by who has lockpicking and who doesn't.

They have been quite tolerable so far on Hard (I am near the end, Shima's quest has just started). The only two longish ones were both at the Mindtaker drake. The one with the demon would have been long if I'd done it as intended, but I just used missiles on the demon before killing the gatekeepers. The fight with the drake (or rather its puppets) was long but I didn't feel it was too long.

I doubt I'll be fighting the Beard, so all in all I think I will be happy with the length of combat. [As for game length, I am sorry to be nearing the end, but most CRPGs are too long IMO, so this is not really a complaint.)

Battle times vary a lot less between difficulties than in previous SW games. Enemy HP doesn't change between difficulty levels, though I think evasion and possibly defense increase somewhat on higher difficulties. Things do run somewhat longer because you have to spend more time healing, buffing, reviving, etc. Even then, it's not like the later Avernums (and to a lesser extent the later Geneforges) with the player constantly healing, since healing abilities have relatively long cooldowns.

I've played through once on hard, and I'm ~90% of the way through on torment, and aside from Zephyrine and the 'beard, fights have never reached A6 levels of interminable.

It would be useful to be able to write notes in game, of course I wrote some information with a pen and a sheet of paper in few circumstances, and in others you are able to click in the lower part of a text screen to store it in the Journal (as for directions to avoid patrols going back to Castel Vebeaux). However, I found some places similar to each other (Dhorla Stead and Goldrag for instance) and this confused me more than once. Being allowed to write names of minor characters related to places brief descriptions in game would have shortened idle times and avoided some mistakes.

Seems like a lot of work for not that much benefit, and defeats one of the main purposes of having the other party members, i.e. having access to the skill sets of classes one didn't pick for the PC. Still, I think it could be cool to give each NPC a special skill or unique passive bonus to distinguish them a bit more from each other, and from a PC of the same class.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
Seems like a lot of work for not that much benefit, and defeats one of the main purposes of having the other party members, i.e. having access to the skill sets of classes one didn't pick for the PC. Still, I think it could be cool to give each NPC a special skill or unique passive bonus to distinguish them a bit more from each other, and from a PC of the same class.

I guess the scarabs can work a bit in this direction - obviously you have a choice who gets them, but at least they are something unique.

Clearly the game can support such extra abilities (or the scarabs would break it). It does indeed seem like a nice way to personalise things.