care to help a musicaly inept Aspie?

Masquerade

For Christmas i recieved an ipod. I know that people my age usually have musical intelligence coming out the wazoo but the the aformentioned Aspergers Syndrome tended to lead me away from social conventions and i was never too interested (and too frugal) in spending all my pocket money on cds. I don't like modern music much anyway (please don't start ranting, its only one persons opinion, its alowed to be different from yours) thus i wasnt game to touch my sisters collection. But when i had a rubbish through my parents cupboards i found some things that i like, mainly some stuff from what im told are "Ska" bands mainly: Ultravox, Electric Lights Orchestra and Men at Work which are my favorites of the bunch along with some traditional rock bands: Queen, The Beatles, David Bowie Some pop bands: Abba and John Paul Young who i don't like as much and finally a bunch of movie soundtracks which make for good "calm down the heck down and study" music.

I'm quite content to listen to some songs that i like on repeat but with a 7 hour road trip coming up I'd like to put some new stuff on it. But i have no clue about how to navigate the big, bad world of music. Its a bit of a new frontier for me so is there anyone out there that can tell me about some good bands along those lines that i can check out? Dates are unimportant.

If you want to look at a unorganized dumping ground of musical tastes, check out this thread on Shadow Vale. The thread was quite nice in its heyday; I found out about a lot of artists I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. For instance, I was listening to Laura Marling tonight; as a North American I never would have heard of her if not for Nikki's recommendation. Very Joni Mitchell.

Your definition of ska might be a bit different than mine, but I'd recommend checking out bands like Madness or Reel Big Fish.

What kind of film scores do you like, exactly? For instance, a John Williams score (Star Wars, Superman, etc.) is pretty different compared to a Randy Newman score (Toy Story, Awakenings, etc.)

(Speaking of Awakenings, and completely off topic:

will completely ruin the movie for you. Don't click it. Seriously.)

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
Took a look at that thread, looks like its worth investigating but i should wait until i have a bit more time, heh. We should start one of those dump threads here, it would get my post count up if nothing else tongue

Also because my tastes/pool of artists has literally exploded in terms of numbers compared to what I was listening to back then.

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
Took a look at that thread, looks like its worth investigating but i should wait until i have a bit more time, heh. We should start one of those dump threads here, it would get my post count up if nothing else tongue

There used to be one here like the what are you reading topic, but it fell into inactivity and got purged.