Superbowl Sunday!

Dantius

Is everybody excited for the big game today? The one where, uh, the one team that's not the Chicago Bears plays the Packers? Because I am... totally excited. Yeah. Football. Rah.

Okay, fine, I admit it. I get all my sports news from SportsDome and don't follow football at all. But I know that some people do like it, and might even want to discuss which of two nearly-evenly matched teams wins a game largely decided by random chance, so I wanted to give them a place to do so.

This will probably be the first Superbowl I haven't watched in years. My home team has been terrible for two years now, and I never found the sport that interesting in the first place. I guess I'll pull for the Packers since their QB is relatively new and has been living in Farve's shadow for a while.

Also, I've never understood the appeal of the Superbowl commercials or the people who watch the Superbowl specifically to see them.

I'm not interested in watching the Superbowl this year either, and honestly don't really care which team wins.

On the subject of the ads, I enjoy them, however, I won't sit through football I've not really interested in just to see them, I'll watch them on the webernet later this week. Also, is it just me, or have the quality of the ads gone down the past few years?

The Guardian's website (UK newspaper) has a superbowl article on its front page this morning.

It's weird, since there is little to no interest in American football here. I couldn't have told you which sport the Superbowl was, other than being one of those American ones (football, baseball, basketball). The Simpsons are the only reason I've ever heard of it. There must not be enough going on in Egypt.

There's a difference between stupidity and nerves. I can't think of how to explain this in a coherent fashion, so I'll just say that practiced performances and skills stem from an automatic portion of your brain so when you're jarred out of that zone it's difficult to collect yourself, particularly if there are millions of people watching you.

I remember reciting some Shakespeare in front of an audience - a line I had delivered without thinking hundreds of times before - and suddenly becoming consciously aware of what I was doing. I dropped a line, but I fortunately was able to pick it back up from the next sentence. There are pieces on the guitar that I have instantly forgotten by becoming consciously aware of what notes I was playing and forgetting what to play next, and this wasn't in front of anybody.

I only watched a few minutes of the Super Bowl, mostly when I hit the wrong button while changing the channel. When you remove all the hype, it's nothing more than a football game where they pass out trophies at the end.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Is it just me, or does a celebrity do something stupid every superbowl?
They have to, it's traditional. This quaint little ritual is commonly known as the "cheap publicity stunt."