Crystal&wand damage

diipadaapaa

How about for all of them?:D I was thinking playing a guardian and this time using magic items instead of hoarding those. I started to play the first but I didn't notice any change in damage even if missile weapon skill changed by 14. Then I got bored and started G2 but I haven't got far enough to invest in MiW.

This is all I could find for Geneforge 1:

Quote:
Influences your accuracy and damage done by

missile weapons.

Quote:
Actually in GF1 missle weapons skills are supposed and do add damage with crystals. I raised the damage for Icy Crystal from around 40 to near 100 by going from 3 to 10 in missle weapons. Swarm crystals went to near 200

It helps, if that what you want to invest points in. I don't think its that useful though. I recommend boosting melee skill instead, if you are not a magic intensive character.

All I found for Geneforge 2 was:

Quote:
Wands and crystals

also use this skill to determine their to hit%

No mention that it increases damage too., so probably isn't worth it just to boost crystals and wands.

For Geneforge 3:

Quote:
Increases your to hit% and damage with missile weapons-

batons, javelins, wands and crystals.

Also:

Quote:
But it was not until G3 that dexterity applied damage to your missiles. The dexterity + missile skill damage = crazy insane damage.

Geneforge 3 was probably the best game to invest in missile skill, as cystals and wands are already stronger with dexterity.

For Geneforge 4:

Dexterity now only affects "your to hit % with missile weapons", not damage.

Quote:
Determines the damage and to hit % for missile weapons.

For Geneforge 5:

Quote:
The second is a missle fighter that emphasizes dexterity and missle weapon skills. You do less damage,

Quote:
I never got to run a dedicated missle character past the North Mera Road fight with Koski. At missle weapons 10 and dexterity 8, I was still doing less damage than with my sword that had original melee weapons and strength for the armor I was wearing.

It seems that missile is not a good approach in Geneforge 5.

In short, if you want a missile focused character, try it on geneforge 3. It can be effective on some of the other games, but it is generally less effective than some other approaches. Sorry that I wasn't able to find any formulas that tell specifically what effect raising your skill will have. Maybe if you have the time, you can record some data and post your results here.

Delicious Vlish ran a dedicated missile weapon user in GF5 and said that you have to continually add to the skill to maintain the damage against monsters in the later part of the game. I gave up after the demo since I wasn't getting enough to match melee damage without putting much into the skill.

Earlier games didn't need as much work to get decent damage.