Max Level in Geneforge 3?

Hey,

I was wondering what the max level is that I can reach in Geneforge 3. Is this common with all games in the series?

Can I generally max out my character in these games? Are there enough enemies in the maps to reach the max level?

I'm simply curious, as I like to try and max my characters when I play an RPG. cool

Originally Posted By: *Logan*
Hey,

I was wondering what the max level is that I can reach in Geneforge 3. Is this common with all games in the series?

Can I generally max out my character in these games? Are there enough enemies in the maps to reach the max level?

I'm simply curious, as I like to try and max my characters when I play an RPG. cool

Don't quote me on this, but the I recall that the max level in G1 was 29 and the max level in the rest was 69. Of course, the practical max level was around 40-ish for 2-4, and mid to low 50's for G5. The only game people have hit the max level cap in in early versions of Avernum 6, where there was a glitch that allowed infinite XP if you had sufficient cash.

I didn't kill "EVERYTHING," in the sense that I didn't wipe out every friendly NPC in all such towns where you can get away with it (though I did kill some...). But that savegame is from the very end of a game after I've killed pretty much every hostile creature in every zone, cleared every zone (Monastery Cavern or whatever it's called included), done every quest. So probably you could find more friendly NPCs to slaughter, and maybe a few locked doors that you could unlock for EXP, but I'm pretty sure you probably couldn't get more than one or two more levels beyond that (since the amount of EXP you get for things declines as you level up, whatever scraps of it are left to get won't be worth much). And as I said, this was a solo agent game, so I wasn't sharing EXP with creations. So, all that is to say I doubt you can get beyond level 41, or if you can, not very far beyond it.

A question for the great and knowledgeable Slarty: do you know if different paths through the Geneforge games ever yield different amounts of EXP? For example, do you get the same amount of EXP for the rebel path as for the shaper path in G3, or would one grant more EXP in the end than the other?

There may be different EXP available at different points. See for example:

http://minmax.ermarian.net/g4/g4q.html

However, the reality is that due to the fairly steep curving of experience by level (and the fact that the differences aren't that extreme to begin with) it is unlikely to make a difference of even one experience level. If you ONLY do what your faction leader asks you to in G1, G2 or G5 and don't even visit other zones, obviously that would be different.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
IA question for the great and knowledgeable [DANTIUS]: do you know if different paths through the Geneforge games ever yield different amounts of EXP? For example, do you get the same amount of EXP for the rebel path as for the shaper path in G3, or would one grant more EXP in the end than the other?

Not sure about the other games, but you do get significantly more Xp in G5 for choosing rebel over Shaper/Trakovite, plus some much nicer artifacts dropped by the Shaper council members as you kill them. However, the rather horrific price that you have to pay for this is that you don't get access to Ur-Drakons or Eyebeasts for use in murdering the hell out of Samman.

Or course, the Eyebeast started sucking after G3 and the Ur-Drakon was really ony good in G4, so it's maybe not too bad a exchange for what is essentially a level or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the cheat codes award XP the same way quests do, meaning it is adjusted for level, and in some of the games that adjustment is very sharp. In such games they stop working BEFORE you reach the cap, and sometimes even before you reach the max XP you'd have in a normal game.