Weird Flickering and Crashing in G5

Into-Exile

I'm running the Geneforge 5 demo in OSX. After about 5 mins of play time the computer gets to at least 80' and the screen starts flickering madly. After a little while OSX will just crash. I'm normally not able to play most recent games due to my graphics card being crap. I'm running the ATI Radeon X1600 that was in the earlier MBP's and it's known(though not acknowledged by Apple) for it's various graphical issues. Normally I'll get screen tearing and Artifacting that doesn't sort itself even when V Sync is applied. Now what I can't understand is why Geneforge 5 is causing problems. It's hardly a demanding game. I can run Doom 3 on the lowest-medium graphics fine with no problems and somewhat lower temps(70'). Now what I'm thinking might actually be the problem is that something has gone wrong with Direct 3d/Direct X since anything with Open GL(Doom 3) works fine. It also makes sense if DirectDraw is used for these games.

If anybody knows any way to sort out these issues, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Spiderweb's Support Page

The heat issue may just be normal laptop heat, addressed in the link. Also, the system requirements mention Open GL, so I would assume that's what it runs on default. If that page doesn't help you, and the problem is only with this one game, I don't know what else to do.

While I understand that the game will have a high CPU usage, if Doom 3 can run perfectly, I can't understand why G5 wouldn't. I haven't tried the other Geneforge or Avernum games in a few months(the graphical issues have become progressively worse since then) so I'll have a test and see what happens. I'm thinking of buying Coolbook to try and undervolt the computer and cut down on the temperature.

Thanks for the help though! smile